Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Université de Montréal
Emmanuelle Poupart is a partner in our Litigation Group in Montreal, and is a member of the firm's Board of Partners. She is responsible for the Medical Law sector where numerous lawyers are involved in our Montréal and Québec City offices.
Her practice focuses on medical liability, insurance law, class actions and commercial litigation.
She has been a litigant in both trial and appeal courts as well as before various administrative tribunals and quasi-judicial bodies. In addition to her work as a litigant, she has counseled many corporation and executives as to the scope of coverage offered by various types of insurance policies.
Ms. Poupart began her practice in 1995 at a private firm practicing exclusively in insurance and professional liability. She joined McCarthy Tétrault in 1998 and is now a partner.
Ms. Poupart was the president of the Insurance and Civil Litigation section of the Canadian Bar Association, Québec Branch which received the excellence award in 2014. She continues to be involved in that section as a member of the executive committee. She is listed in the "Litigation Lawyers to Watch" category in the 2009 edition of the Lexpert Guide to the leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada. She is featured as leading lawyer in the areas of directors’ & officers’ liability litigation and medical negligence-represents defendants in the last edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. Ms. Poupart appears as a leading lawyer in medical negligence in the 2016 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada.
Ms. Poupart received a DEC in administrative sciences from Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf in 1991 and a bachelor of civil law degree from the Université de Montréal in 1994. She was called to the Québec bar in 1995. Ms. Poupart also completed a graduate diploma in bioethics from the Université de Montréal in 1999.
- An informed expert is worth two: The importance of choosing the right words – Le médecin du Québec, Mai 2012, volume 47, no. 5;
- The obligation to defend the insured and the allocation of defence costs in commentaries on insurance law and legislative and regulatory texts – LexisNexis 2nd edition 2011;
- Prevention is better than cure – The anatomy of a defective message – Le médecin du Québec, July 2009, Volume 44, No. 7;
- Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir: quelles sont les leçons à tirer des récentes décisions impliquant des chirurgiens - Développements récents en droit médico-légal et responsabilité des chirurgiens, 2011, Volume 343;
- "The Liability of directors and officers, and sources of indemnification" — Assurances et gestion de risques, July 2006, vol. 74(2).
- Disclosure on secondary markets – Why you should check your insurance coverage before December 31, 2005 – Nouvelles en assurance – December 2005;
- Insurance for outside directors: does your safety net have holes? – Nouvelles en assurance – December 2005;
- When the ground gives way under your feet – Nouvelles en assurance – June 2005;
- Renew or replace an insurance policy: take a very close look – Nouvelles en assurance – March 2004;
- Attesting to the information in annual and interim documents and your insurance – Nouvelles en assurance – Mars 2004;
- Will you be able to use the benefits of your directors and executives’ insurance policy if the company goes bankrupt? – Nouvelles en assurance – June 2003;
- Directors and executives’ liability: who will foot the bill? – Nouvelles en assurance – March 2003.
Public contracts and Bill 26: recovery of amounts improperly paid and changes to the AMF authorization regime
Landmark Precedent: Court Denies Certification of a Product Liability Class Action Related to a Drug Withdrawn From the Market
Les obligations, la responsabilité des administrateurs et les sources d’indemnisation
Directors’ liability and sources of indemnification
Victory for the Insured
Insurance News - December 2005
Outside looking in
Insurance News - June 2005
Without a Net*
The Certification of Disclosure in Annual and Interim Filings and Your Insurance
Transactions & Cases