Lawyer Profile Detail
Sonia J. Struthers
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Sonia J. Struthers is a senior partner in the Business Law Group in Montréal. Her practice focuses on capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, securities and financial services regulation and investment products.
Ms. Struthers counsels public companies, financial institutions and intermediaries in the areas of corporate finance, reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, governance and compliance. She also advises dealers and advisors in financial services and fund managers as well as clearing houses and other regulated entities in the areas of securities and financial services regulation and investment products with an emphasis on financial products such as collective investment vehicles, structured debt offerings and trading and clearing services.
Ms. Struthers has extensive experience acting as:
- counsel to public companies, financial institutions including insurance companies and intermediaries in the areas of corporate finance, reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, governance, regulation and compliance;
- counsel to financial institutions, dealers and advisors in financial services and fund managers as well as clearing houses and other regulated entities with respect to the structuring and regulation of financial products such as hedge funds (domestic and off-shore), mutual funds, pooled funds, segregated funds, structured debt products including linked-note offerings, standardized and OTC derivatives and trading and clearing services.
Ms. Struthers appears in the current editions of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of corporate mid-market, and in Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of securities law. She is also highly rated by the Martindale-Hubbell Directory and is named in the Canadian Women in the Lead Directory.
Professional & Community Activities:
- chair of McCarthy Tétrault’s national Annual Disclosure & Governance Seminar for public companies;
- member of the derivatives consultative committee of the Quebec Autorité des marchés financiers;
- guest lecturer on securities and derivatives law at the Faculties of Law, Laval University and University of Ottawa;
- a director of the Batshaw Centres Foundation which supports the work of the Batshaw Youth & Family Centres’ social services for at-risk Montréal youth;
- (former) chair of the ethics committee and a (former) director of the Canadian Union Insurance Company, a subsidiary of the Co-Operators Group Ltd. (1999 to 2012); and
- (former) head of diversity initiatives and (former) member of the executive committee for McCarthy Tétrault (Québec region).
Ms. Struthers received her BA (philosophy) from Vassar College and her BCL and LLB degrees from McGill University. She was called to the Québec Bar in 1988 and to the Ontario Bar in 1994.
Department of Finance Canada Launches Consultation Process to Review the Federal Financial Sector Framework
Derivatives Update: CSA Propose Margin and Collateral Requirements for Non-Centrally Cleared Derivatives
One Form, More Information: Significant Changes to Canadian Report of Exempt Distribution Coming in June
Derivatives Update: A New Customer Clearing Rule and Changes to the Quebec Derivatives Regulation
Third Try: CSA Publishes Revised Mandatory Clearing Rules For OTC Derivatives
Amendments to TSX Company Manual Regarding Closed-end Funds, Exchange Traded Products and Structured Products
Accredited Investor Exemption for Certain Derivatives Extended by Quebec AMF
Disclosure Watch: CSA Increases Number of Continuous Disclosure Reviews
Mandatory Central Counterparty Clearing of OTC Derivatives in Canada
CSA and OSC Broaden and Adopt New Prospectus Exemptions
McCarthy Tétrault Advises National Bank of Canada in the Fiera-Natcan Transaction
Transactions & Cases
CDPQ acquires 30% of Bombardier Transportation Holdco for US$1.5B
Fiera Capital announces closing of C$105 million private placements of subscription receipts
Desjardins Group acquires 40% of Qtrade Financial Group's shares
Dexia Group completes C$1.109 billion sale of RBC Dexia Investor Services share to RBC
Molson Coors completes C$1.9 billion debt offering to support StarBev acquisition
Natcan Investment Management completes C$309.5 million sale of assets to Fiera Capital
Zarlink Semiconductor completes C$635 million sale to Microsemi Corporation
Avensys acquires Willer Engineering
Manaris Corporation/Avensys Inc. acquires ITF Optical Technologies
Garda Security Group Inc. acquires all shares of Chartrand Laframboise Inc.