Disponible en Anglais seulement
Cynthia MacDougall is a partner and head of the Municipal Group in Toronto. Her practice focuses on the areas of municipal, land use planning and environmental law.
Cynthia is a member of the Municipal Section, Canadian Bar Association (Ontario). She is past-chair of the Toronto Parks and Trees Foundation, past-president and past-director of the Neighbourhood Information Post, as well as a former director of the Wood Green Community Centre, the Scarborough Distress Centre and Sistering.
Cynthia practises extensively in front of the Ontario Land Tribunal, Committees of Adjustment and Land Division Committees; frequently makes deputations to local and regional Councils and their committees; and works with members of Council and senior governmental staff.
Cynthia received a B.A.A. in Urban and Regional Planning from Ryerson Polytechnical Institute in 1980 and her LL.B. from the University of Toronto in 1984.
SIGNIFICANT REPRESENTATIVE PROJECTS & EXPERIENCE
- advising on the development of a retail, office and residential development totalling approximately 2.5 million square feet, located on a largely vacant 30-acre industrial site in the City of Toronto adjacent to an active industrial area, including a successful hearing at the Ontario Land Tribunal, which involved complex environmental and employment issues;
- advising major health institutions including St. Michael’s Hospital, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and Bridgepoint Health;
- advising on other client developments with significant heritage components, including The National Ballet School, the Art Gallery of Ontario and 100 Yorkville (the former Mount Sinai Hospital);
- advising with respect to the renewal of rental housing units, including Rosewell, Victoria University and Minto on Charles Street, and negotiating section 37 rental benefit package for Minto’s Yonge & Eglinton project;
- advising on residential or mixed use developments both in and outside Toronto, including developments in the Yorkville area, Financial District, Fort York Neighbourhood, Downtown, Yonge-Lawrence and the Yonge-Eglinton neighbourhoods, as well as conversion of industrial buildings or office buildings, including the former CBC warehouse building;
- advising on the stadium development for the Air Canada Centre, the new arena facility for the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Toronto Raptors, which includes an integrated 200,000 square foot office tower;
- advising on the rezoning for the Southtown Lands in the City of Toronto, a parcel of land formerly used for rail purposes on Toronto’s waterfront, for proposed office development of 4.0 million square feet and 1,800 units of new residential development, including a successful hearing at the Ontario Land Tribunal;
- advising on the expansion to the Metro Toronto Convention Centre providing a new facility of 1,000,000 square feet located underneath a new City park, including a development proposal at the Ontario Land Tribunal;
- advising Toronto Hydro Energy and Toronto Renewable Energy Co-operative regarding wind turbines in the City of Toronto, as well as a wind turbine project in Prince Edward County;
- advising on new residential development of approximately 300 units in the Harbourfront area of the City of Toronto throughout the city, provincial and federal reviews of Harbourfront development;
- advising the Ontario Clean Water Agency on a variety of matters related to the provision of water and sewage services throughout Ontario;
- advising municipalities and developers on questions of municipal law including issues of municipal powers and bonusing;
- advising developers in negotiating terms of subdivision and development agreements with municipalities and cost sharing and joint servicing agreements amongst developers;
- advising on the development of Cornell, a new residential community in the Town of Markham with a future projected population of 25,000 persons and significant commercial retail and office components; and
- planning and development matters for a variety of non-profit housing developments in municipalities in the Greater Toronto Area, including appearing at over a dozen Ontario Land Tribunal hearings to achieve approvals.
SELECT DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS
- Yonge Alvin and Yonge Scollard – mixed use high rise development for Wittington Properties
- Minto St. Thomas – mixed use high rise development
- Minto Yonge Eglinton – mixed use high rise development
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health - Campus Redevelopment
- Bridgepoint Hospital - Campus Redevelopment
- Delisle Court – mixed use redevelopment
- Rosewell Court – residential redevelopment involving existing rental housing
- Park Properties – 100 Spadina – redevelopment of existing rental housing property
- Minto Lonsdale – redevelopment of existing rental property with rental/condominium development
- National Ballet School - Radio City
- Richmond Peter – mixed use high rise development
- Air Canada Centre – stadium development
- Railway Lands Zoning By-law
- Don Mount Court – redevelopment of existing community housing with mix of rental and condominium development
- St. Michael’s Hospital
- New Oakville Hospital – Halton Healthcare Services
- Fort York Neighbourhood Redevelopment.
Prix et distinctions
Leading Lawyer: Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use: Ontario
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Property Development
Best Lawyers in Canada
Lawyer of the Year: Municipal Law