Mathieu LeBlanc is a Partner in our Business Law Group in Québec City. He practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and general corporate and commercial transactions, with a primary focus on the energy, infrastructure and industrial sectors.
Mathieu has acted for numerous Canadian and international purchasers, vendors, investors and lenders in various types of transactions, including the acquisition or sale of interests or assets in the infrastructure and energy industries. He also frequently advises developers and lenders in connection with the development, construction, financing and operation of wind power, hydroelectric, cogeneration, biogas, solar, infrastructure and industrial projects in Canada and abroad. He has extensive knowledge of the Québec and federal energy regulatory framework and has experience in the drafting and negotiation of a broad range of joint venture, offtake, supply, operation, maintenance, services, construction and procurement contracts.
Mathieu also advises clients in connection with lobbyists registration matters.
He received his Bachelor's degree in civil law from the Université Laval in 2008 and was placed on the Honour Roll of the Law Faculty. He also studied at the Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, Germany and was called to the Québec bar in 2009.
Recent representative engagements of Mathieu include acting for:
- Kruger Inc. in connection with its $377 million project to diversify operations at its Brompton and Wayagamack Mills into speciality niches in a joint venture with Investissement Québec;
- Eurovia, a subsidiary of the Vinci group, in connection with the acquisition of certain assets of the TNT Group, including a quarry, asphalt concrete plants and infrastructure construction activities located in Québec, Canada;
- Nestlé S.A. in connection with the US$2.3 billion acquisition of Atrium Innovations Inc.;
- Kruger Inc. in connection with Investissement Québec’s $190 million investment (equity and subordinated debt) to convert Kruger’s No 10 newsprint machine in Trois-Rivières to liner board production;
- Aéroport de Québec Inc. in connection with a $265 million bond issue to finance its expansion project;
- Invenergy LLC in connection with a US$500 million investment by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec’s in 13 operating wind farms of Invenergy LLC in the United States and Canada;
- Stonebridge Financial Corporation and Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund II Limited Partnership in connection with the initial and subsequent closings of Stonebridge Infrastructure Debt Fund II Limited Partnership, an Ontario private debt fund (with capital commitments in excess of $200 million), providing project financing in the energy and infrastructure sectors;
- multiple project developers, investors and lenders in connection with the drafting and negotiation or review of EPC, EPCM, BOP and equipment supply contracts for energy and infrastructure projects as well as industrial plants located in Canada, South America and Africa;
- multiple project developers in connection with the preparation and submission of bids in recent Hydro-Québec RFPs for the procurement of energy produced from wind power, hydroelectric and biomass projects.
Awards & Rankings
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market; Energy (Electricity); Private Equity
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer - Corporate Law