Marc-Étienne Boucher is an associate in the Bankruptcy & Restructuring and Litigation groups in our Montreal office. In the course of his insolvency practice, he is involved in various matters under the CCAA and the BIA and represents clients from various industries and in various roles, such as debtors, creditors, lenders, court-appointed monitors, trustees, receivers, as well as strategic acquirers. In the course of his practice, he regularly pleads before the courts the Superior Court of Québec and the Court of Appeal of Québec. His extensive expertise allows him to assist clients in all aspects of the insolvency and restructuring process.
Marc-Étienne has notably worked in the following cases, in which he represented:
- Debtors Ébénisterie St-Urbain and Woodlore International, in their restructuring under the CCAA;
- Court-appointed Monitor Deloitte Restructuring Inc., in the restructuring of Xebec Adsorption Inc. et al. under the CCAA;
- Portage Capital Corporation, a secured lender in the restructuring of Centre de Distribution Transrapide et al. under the CCAA;
- Trustee Arthur Blumer & Associates Inc., successfully on appeal against the City of Montréal, in the bankruptcy of Public Bike System Company (Bixi), 2023 QCCA 368;
- A potential acquirer of the assets of North American Lithium, in the Arrangement relatif à North American Lithium Inc., 2022 QCCS 587;
- The Department of Justice of a foreign state, in the restructuring of Groupe Dynamite under the CCAA;
- HSBC, in the Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) fee class action (Defrance et Vaillancourt-Thivierge Banque de Montréal et al.);
- Debtors Investissements Hexagone Inc. et al. in the context of their successful restructuring proceedings under the CCAA;
- Debtors Motovan Corporation and Motorcycle Tires & Accessories LLC et al., in the context of their successful restructuring proceedings under the CCAA;
- PricewaterhouseCoopers inc., in various matters pertaining to the interim administration of the guarantee plan of La Garantie Habitation du Québec Inc.;
- Cascades Canada, in the context of oppression proceedings in Craig Packaging Ltd. v. Beaumont, 2020 QCCS 367;
- Majority shareholders, in the context of various oppression proceedings; and
- Businesses and employees, in the context of multiple remedies and injunctions related to the application of non-competition and non-solicitation clauses;
Marc-Étienne also has extensive expertise in civil and commercial litigation, including in the context of extraordinary remedies and injunctions. His clients appreciate his efficiency and ability to understand complex issues and resolve a wide range of disputes.
Before joining McCarthy Tétrault, Marc-Étienne was a senior associate at a national law firm and also worked several years at a major Québec law firm. During his studies, he clerked at the Superior Court of Québec for the Honourable Paul Mayer, j.s.c.
Marc-Étienne was called to the Quebec Bar in 2016 and obtained his LL.B. from Université de Montréal in 2015.