Kent Beattie is counsel in our Real Property & Planning Group in Toronto. His practice focuses on real property acquisitions and dispositions (involving significant office, hotel, data centre and shopping centre portfolios, mixed use commercial developments, railways, and mining properties), real estate development, secured lending, and leasing. Kent has been ranked as a leading lawyer by several directories, including Chambers Global and Euromoney.
Kent obtained his History Specialist BA, with a minor in Political Science, from the University of Toronto (Victoria College) in 1989. He received his LLB in 1992 from the Faculty of Law at the University of Western Ontario, graduating with Distinction.
Kent is a member of the Law Society of Ontario.
Significant Representative Transactions
- Represented a purchaser in connection with its acquisition of a major multi-storey mixed use property in Toronto's Yorkville district.
- Represented a purchaser in connection with its acquisition of a major office property in Montreal, Quebec.
- Represented a global plastic technology and processing manufacturer in connection with its acquisition, sale and leaseback of manufacturing facilities located in Ontario.
- Represented a European family office in connection with its participation in real estate partnerships across Canada.
- Represented a purchaser in connection with its acquisition of a Toronto data centre at 565 Gordon Baker Road, Toronto.
- Represented a purchaser in connection with its acquisition of the Telus data centre at 300 Bartor Road, Toronto.
- Represented vendors in connection with their dispositions of two data centres in Ontario and Quebec.
- Represented a purchaser in connection with its acquisition of a 50% interest in a 100 megawatts (MW) wind facility in Ontario.
- Represented a lender in connection with its cross border financing of the Ottawa Senators and the Canadian Tire Centre.
- Represented one of Canada’s largest public real estate corporations in connection with the multi-billion dollar disposition program of its Canadian office portfolio.
- Represented a purchaser in connection with its acquisition of a 50% interest in six major regional shopping centres and office towers, with a combined leasable area of more than 4 million square feet for a purchase price of approximately $1 Billion.
- Represented a vendor in connection with the disposition of a portfolio of 25 Canadian hotels for proceeds of approximately $300 million.
- Represented a major North American race track owner and operator in connection with bridge and project lending for proceeds in excess of USD440 million.
- Represented one of Canada’s largest telecommunications companies in connection with the sale and leaseback of its office portfolio.
- Represented one of Canada’s five chartered banks in connection with the disposition of its office and mixed use commercial portfolio.
- Represented a leading aerospace company in connection with its acquisition of the Engine Maintenance Division and real property of Aveos Fleet Performance Inc.
- Represented a leading machinery manufacturer in connection with its disposition of a manufacturing facility in London, Ontario.
- Represented an Ontario Crown agency in connection with the implementation of its service improvement plan involving railway and telecommunications businesses.
Awards & Rankings
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Property Leasing
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer in the area of Real Estate Law