Kate Macdonald is an associate in our Litigation Group in Vancouver. Her practice focuses on complex commercial disputes, including class action defence, and privacy, contractual, real estate, and financial services disputes. Kate advises and represents clients from a broad range of industries, with a focus on clients in the real estate, retail and consumer markets, and financial services industries. She is also a member of the firm’s national Retail and Consumer Markets Group and regularly advises clients on consumer protection and privacy matters.
Kate is dedicated to helping clients achieve their business objectives, and providing clients with practical and strategic advice to protect their interests in and out of court. She has appeared as counsel in all levels of court in British Columbia.
Kate’s recent and notable experience includes:
- Defending financial institutions in class actions related to mortgage terms and credit card fees.
- Defending real estate developers in contractual disputes.
- Representing landlords in commercial lease disputes.
- Advising real estate developers and an airport authority regarding roads issues.
- Representing British Columbia universities in property tax disputes.
- Representing an information technology client following a cyber attack.
- Advising and representing a mining company in freedom of information and privacy matters.
- Defending a large multinational retailer in a contract dispute related to local permitting requirements.
- Advising retail clients in the travel, luxury goods, personal care products, and home improvement industries regarding consumer protection issues.
Kate was recognized for her expertise by Best Lawyers in Canada in the “Ones to Watch: Corporate and Commercial Litigation” category. She regularly provides timely practical insight through the firm's Consumer Markets Perspectives and Lay of the Land blogs.
Kate received her J.D. from the University of British Columbia in 2013, where she was the recipient of numerous academic and legal writing awards, as well as a research fellowship. While earning her J.D., Kate volunteered with various organizations. She continues to be actively involved in pro bono and other volunteer endeavors.
Following law school, Kate completed a clerkship at the British Columbia Supreme Court, where she clerked for seven judges in New Westminster and Vancouver.
Kate is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, the Canadian Bar Association, the Vancouver Bar Association, and The Advocates' Society.