Jim Janetos is a partner in our Projects Group in Toronto. Jim’s practice is focused on major infrastructure and projects, with significant experience advising both the public sector and private sectors on procurement, financing, acquisition, and divestiture of infrastructure assets/capital projects. He also offers a depth of expertise advising clients on M&A transactions, strategic alliances and joint ventures, financings, reorganizations, and other private equity and securities-related transactions.
Recent examples of Jim’s experience includes advising:
- Infrastructure Ontario and its co-sponsors on various infrastructure/capital projects, including
- Scarborough Subway Extension Project
- Yonge North Subway Extension Project
- Hurontario Light Rail Transit Project
- Highway 407 East Extension Projects (Phase 1 and Phase 2)
- New Toronto Courthouse Project
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Phase 1C Project
- Vision Group in its acquisition of ENERGI Fenestration Solutions, Limited, a portfolio company of OpenGate Capital operating 6 PVC extrusions plants in Canada and the US
- Sunview Patio Doors Limited in its sale to Novatech Canada Limited
- A Canadian beauty and cosmetics company regarding its auction sale mandate currently being conducted by its owners
- OMERS Infrastructure Management Inc. in its purchase from SNC-Lavalin Inc. of a 10.01% equity interest in 407 International Inc.
- Infrastructure Ontario and its co-sponsors regarding the acquisition: (i) by CDPQ Inc. of Plenary Americas’ operating business as well as its portfolio of infrastructure assets; and (ii) by KKR & Co. Inc. and Equitix of John Laing Group plc.
- The lenders to Fiera Infrastructure and its equity partners regarding their bid to the purchase of ONRoute Service Centres business
- Bermuda Skyport Corporation Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Aecon Concessions, regarding its investment in the L.F. Wade International Airport Redevelopment Project, Bermuda
Since 2019, Jim has been a lecturer and program course leader at the G7 Sustainable Infrastructure Fellowship Program offered by York University - Schulich School of Business. Jim is a past lecturer and panel member of The Osgoode Public-Private Partnership Certificate Program developed by Osgoode Hall Law School as part of its continuing legal education program.
Jim is also a past member of the Infrastructure Committee of the Toronto Region Board of Trade.
Jim received his Hon. B.Sc. from the University of Toronto in 1987, and his LLB from Queen’s University in 1990.
Awards & Rankings
Leading Lawyer: Projects PPP & Infrastructure - Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Infrastructure Law
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure