A seasoned business lawyer, Jacob advises clients in a variety of industries with their various transactions in both Québec and Ontario
As a partner in the Business Law Group in Québec City, Jacob’s practice focuses on project finance, private placements, mergers and acquisitions and venture capital. His experience spans several sectors, including energy, agribusiness and technology.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Jacob worked in the Investment and Services section of the Trade Law Division of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada in Ottawa.
Jacob’s experience is highlighted by his involvement in several significant mandates including:
- SOFIAC in its C$160 millions debt financing from the Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) and Fiera Private Debt
- MUFG Union Bank, Ltd., Canada Branch (MUFG), and Associated Bank, N.A. in the acquisition of a portfolio of wind projects in Ontario by Capstone Infrastructure
- The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada in the closing of a secured credit facility to First Nation LP in order to finance its equity interest in Wataynikaneyap Power LP
- OSF Global Services Inc. in the C$43 millions equity investment round led by Funds managed by Delta-v with Salesforce Ventures LLC
- Invenergy LLC, a USA-based power generation and energy storage company, in the C$215 million sale of its interests in 5 wind farms in Québec to Boralex Inc.
- NextEra Energy Partners LP, American renewable electricity company, in its US$1.27 billion sale of wind and solar generation assets to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board
Jacob received a Juris Doctor (magna cum laude) from the University of Ottawa in 2011 after receiving a Bachelor of Civil Law from Université Laval in 2009. Before studying law, he completed a BA (Honours) in International Relations with a Minor in Economics at Mount Allison University.
Jacob sits on the board of directors of Craig’s Cause Pancreatic Society and is a member of the Executive Committee and Council of the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec. He also serves as Vice-Chancellor of the Anglican Diocese of Québec. He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and was called to the Québec and Ontario Bars in 2012.