Gary Litwack’s practice focuses on public and private equity and debt financing, mergers and acquisitions and securities regulation, with special emphasis on transactions (financings, M&A and industry focused commercial arrangements) involving mining, financial services and registrant companies. He also advises independent committees of boards of directors regarding “related party” and significant material transactions and circumstances, and dealers and advisors on investment funds and registration compliance.
Major clients Gary has represented include Companhia Vale do Rio Doce, Rio Tinto and Glencore (and its predecessors), as well as numerous underwriters and financial advisers in the industry.
- Counsel to the underwriting syndicate for Nexa Resources’ US$570 million IPO;
- Counsel to Sigma Lithium Resources Corporation on its TSX Venture Exchange going public transaction and its various pre-public financings;
- Counsel to Kraft Canada on the US$60 billion merger of Kraft and Heinz;
- Counsel to the underwriting syndicate for Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation’s $193 million public equity offering;
- Counsel to Companhia Vale do Rio Doce on a C$162 million plan of arrangement under which it acquired a 50% interest in the assets of TEAL Exploration & Mining Incorporated and formed a 50:50 joint venture with African Rainbow Minerals Limited;
- Counsel to Rio Tinto plc in its transactions with Ivanhoe Mines Limited related to purchase and subsequent resale arrangements on a large portfolio of long lead time heavy mining equipment supply contracts;
- Counsel to Shear Minerals Ltd. in its acquisition of the Jericho Mine in Nunavut and the related equity financing and its diamond marketing and sales arrangements and loan facility with Taché;
- Counsel to Chesswood Income Fund for its conversion into a dividend paying corporation by way of plan of arrangement, and counsel to Chesswood Group Limited on its various financings and M&A transactions; and
- Counsel to Xstrata Copper for its acquisition (with Goldcorp) of an option to acquire the Agua Rica project in Argentina and related assets.
Gary has been an adjunct professor of Advanced Securities Law at Osgoode Hall Law School.
Gary received his LLB from the University of Ottawa in 1988 and his LLM (International Business Transactions) from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1992. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1990.
Awards & Rankings
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market; Corporate Finance & Securities; Mining
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: Capital Markets: equity, private equity, M&A
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Lexpert Special Edition – Mining
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the areas of natural resources law and securities law