Learn more about the programs we offer at our Calgary Office and see if it’s right for you.
At McCarthy Tétrault, we look for students who are genuinely interested in our practice and our clients, who can work in a team-based environment, who have a strong desire to learn, who are highly motivated, and who demonstrate initiative and judgment.
We have learned, however, that the skills and character traits needed to practice law at a high level do not come in uniform packages and our students and lawyers have diverse backgrounds, personalities and interests.
We pride ourselves on our professionalism, client focus, innovation and ability to work as a team. If you think you might enjoy working with us, please send us your application.
Learn more about applying for a position in Calgary.
Your application should include a cover letter, a complete résumé, and copies of all official transcripts of law school, undergraduate and graduate grades, as well as a list of anticipated upper year courses. Writing samples and reference letters are not required.
We typically participate in on-campus interviews at the following schools: University of Victoria, University of British Columbia, Thompson Rivers University, University of Alberta, University of Calgary, University of Saskatchewan, Ontario and McGill Universities and Dalhousie University.
If you are applying from any of the schools where we will be participating in OCIs, please adhere to the application deadlines set by your law school. Please submit your completed application through the viLawPortal. Attention: Tenzin Dratsangshema, Coordinator, Associate and Student Programs. Our recruitment procedures are carried out in accordance with the LSA guidelines. For dates, please see the LSA website, https://www.
Please note that the Calgary office hires its Articling Student complement from its Summer Student class, as a result, does not typically participate in the Articling Student recruitment process.
Please note that applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment from McCarthy Tétrault will be required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada as a condition of employment and to maintain their status as fully vaccinated as a condition of continued employment. McCarthy Tétrault will consider individual requests for accommodation by applicants who cannot be fully vaccinated due to health or other grounds.
Important dates for applicants
1L 2023 Summer Positions
- We will be participating in the 1L 2023 summer student recruitment process for our Calgary office. The recruitment period and deadlines are as follows:
viLawPortal Opens: January 17, 2023
Application Deadline: January 26, 2023
Interview Call Day: February 1, 2023 starting at 9 am MST
Interview Week: February 21 – 24, 2023
- Please submit your application through the viLawPortal and include your cover letter, resume, undergraduate transcripts and 1L first semester grades. Applications should be directed to the attention of Kristy Foreman, Director of Student Programs (Alberta and British Columbia).
You may be wondering how the recruitment process works at McCarthy Tétrault. When we receive your application, we will acknowledge receipt of your application by e-mail. Then the process will occur as follows:
- On-Campus Interviews
Interviews are conducted on the dates set by the law schools for on-campus interviews. After the OCIs have been completed, we will select students to attend in-firm interviews and will notify those students by email of the outcome of their OCI.
- Post OCIs
Candidates will be selected. Selected applicants will be contacted to schedule an in-firm interview (unless otherwise specified by your law school). You will receive an e-mail to confirm interview details.
- Interviews at our firm
Students will meet with at least 2 lawyers during the course of their in-firm visit. Your visit will begin with your interview. Our interviews are generally 40 minutes in length. During the interview process, students will also have the opportunity to meet with our articling students to ask candid questions about their experience at McCarthy Tétrault.
We appreciate that the recruitment process can be a stressful time for students. To make sure the process goes as smoothly as possible, here a few tips:
- Preparation is key to a successful recruitment experience, so take time to reflect about who you are and what you want.
- A cover letter should be concise (no more than one page) and indicate briefly why you are applying to McCarthy Tétrault.
- Use examples in your cover letter to demonstrate your key skills. Specific examples are often most compelling!
- Your cover letter should leave the reader thinking, "I want to learn more about this person."
- Gaps in a candidate's personal history may be puzzling and should be explained in your cover letter.
- Your résumé should allow its reader to determine what you have done and should highlight your education, extracurricular activities, leadership, work and community service.
- Don't forget to proofread! Lawyers and clients are very detail-conscious.
- When interviewing you, we want to learn more about your skills and interests, and, most importantly, about who you are.
- During the interview, you should be prepared to answer questions about anything in your cover letter and résumé, about yourself and your career ambitions. We want to learn about your interests, motivations, passions, strengths and developmental goals.
- Listen carefully to the questions, and don't be afraid to ask for clarification.
- Practise answering questions with a family member or a friend or participate in mock interviews.
- Try to be on top of everything that is in your control in order to help ease the stress of interviews.
- Get to the interview with a few minutes to spare and be prepared with questions for your interviewers.
- Breathe, relax, smile: and, most importantly, be yourself.