Intermediate/Senior Law Clerk Wills and Estates
January 20, 2023
At McCarthy Tétrault, we offer challenging and rewarding career opportunities and are delighted to have been selected for the tenth consecutive year in 2022 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers. Our culture is built on professional excellence, collaboration, innovation, thought leadership and entrepreneurialism. We embrace inclusion in all its forms and we provide the tools and opportunities to help our people develop to their full potential.
We are currently seeking a Law Clerk to join our Wills and Estates department. The successful incumbent will provide intermediate level legal support in estate planning and administration including the preparation of Applications for Certificates of Appointment, reviewing of wills and powers of attorney, preparation of distribution plans, releases, reports and the preparation and review of Estate Accounts. The ideal candidate would have experience in the preparation of such accounts with Emergent WindUp or Estateably.
This position can be based out of Toronto. McCarthy Tétrault employees benefit from a hybrid work environment.
As an Intermediate or Senior Law Clerk, you will be:
- Providing independent professional support services.
- Preparing and drafting some or all of the following documents:
- Applications for Certificate of Appointment.
- Correspondence with Estate Trustees and Beneficiaries.
- Preparing and Reviewing Estate Accounts.
- Reviewing Wills and Powers of Attorney.
- Documents relating to estate administration.
- Preparation of Guardianship Applications.
- Additional duties and responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
- Attending on clients/lawyers to review estate planning and estate administration documents.
- Assisting with preparation or filing of other documents.
- Keeping current on changes in legislation and government policy and informing others as appropriate.
- Ensuring quality and accuracy of work, and ensuring work is completed within reasonable time frame.
As our ideal candidate, you will distinguish yourself by the following profile:
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- College Degree/Certificate in Law Clerk/Paralegal studies or equivalent work experience.
- Familiarity with Estateably and/or Windup/Emergent programs.
- Excellent analytical skills, good judgment, organizational skills and high attention to detail.
- Client-service oriented, including strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Capacity to occasionally accommodate a flexible schedule.
As a member of the McCarthy team, you will have access to:
- Outstanding benefits from day one, including insurance premiums paid by the Firm and wellness and technology reimbursements.
- Competitive compensation, paid overtime and generous time off, including a day off to volunteer.
- A commitment to professional development and growth opportunities for our people at all levels, supported by a culture that fully embraces and encourages two-way feedback.
- Strong community involvement and a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- A collaborative, cohesive culture that connects lawyers and business teams through collective purpose.
How to apply:
We invite you to submit your application to [email protected] We thank all applicants for their interest in McCarthy Tétrault; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. We regret that we are unable to respond to individual inquiries about application status. McCarthy Tétrault is an equal opportunity employer that fosters an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment. Please notify us if you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process.