McCarthy Tétrault lawyers named as leading women in business law
October 17, 2013
Toronto, October 17, 2013 — McCarthy Tétrault is delighted to announce that eight of its women lawyers have been recognized in Expert Guides: Women in Business Law 2013. The lawyers, who were acknowledged for their particular expertise and strengths in serving clients, are as follows:
Competition and Antitrust
- Madeleine Renaud Ad. E. is an extensively published author and has been ranked by several international directories for her competition work. She has presented at numerous conferences and regularly represents clients in landmark competition matters.
Insurance and Reinsurance
- Nancy Carroll, a frequent speaker on regulatory, privacy and e-commerce matters, is recognized as a leading practitioner serving the financial sector. She has acted as counsel on the first demutualization of a large life insurance company in Canada.
- Brenda Swick is recognized internationally as a leading lawyer. She has successfully litigated numerous high-profile import relief cases under antidumping, countervailing duty, and safeguards laws. She has authored numerous publications.
- Gabrielle Richards has been recognized as one of Women’s Executive Network’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women in Canada, and was featured as one of Canada's top 25 women lawyers by Lexpert. She is an adjunct professor of Osgoode Hall Law School.
- Rosemarie Wertschek, Q.C. has been featured in numerous international publications, and has presented at several conferences and seminars. She has been recipient of the Lexpert Zenith Award for her leadership in business law.
Trusts and Estates
- Bernadette Dietrich has experience in all aspects of estate litigation, has been an instructor and advisor of the Estate Administration Course for the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario, and has been recognized in a variety of publications.
- Hilary Laidlaw frequently lectures and participates in conferences, has written extensively in trusts and estates for professional publications and other media, and is considered a leading lawyer in a range of global directories.
- Godyne Sibay, a member of the firm’s Board of Partners, has been named one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women by the Women’s Executive Network. She is a founding member of the Toronto chapter of Women in Infrastructure and is recognized as a leading lawyer in numerous publications.
Expert Guides are published by Legal Media Group, the legal publishing arm of Euromoney Institutional Investor. The guide focuses on the world’s leading business lawyers in more than 65 jurisdictions worldwide. The research is based on independent nominations. Further information is found on the Expert Guides website.
About McCarthy Tétrault
McCarthy Tétrault provides a broad range of legal services, advising on large and complex assignments for Canadian and international interests. The firm has substantial presence in Canada’s major commercial centres and in London, UK.
Built on an integrated approach to the practice of law and delivery of innovative client services, the firm brings its legal talent, industry insight and practice experience to help clients achieve the results that are important to them.
— 30 —
For further information, or to request an interview with a McCarthy Tétrault lawyer, please contact:
Director of Communications
Canada’s leading business law and litigation firm since 1855
Canada's first 'national' law firm — a significant development in the legal industry requiring approval from the Supreme Court of Canada
We deliver integrated legal solutions nationally and globally through our business law, tax, real property, labour and employment, and litigation expertise
Approximately 500 lawyers in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montréal and Québec City, as well as in New York City and London, UK
Canada’s top litigation firm for more than 150 years
One of the top Canadian financial services practices by leading national and international legal directories
One of the nation’s top-ranked tax law practices by leading tax directories
Rated the top real estate law firm in Canada by leading national and international legal directories