Lawyer Profile Detail
Managing Partner, New York Office
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Manitoba
New York, USA, 2001
Connecting US and International clients to the Canadian market, Mark gets deals done with a results-driven commercial approach and cross-border expertise
Mark Adkins is the Managing Partner of McCarthy Tétrault’s New York office. His practice is focused exclusively on the Canadian law aspects of M&A, private equity and inbound capital markets transactions. A leading and skilled business lawyer, Mark began his practice in Toronto and has been a cross-border deal lawyer in New York City for almost 15 years.
Clients rely on Mark for his practical advice and focus on solving their business challenges, notably the key differences in Canadian corporate and securities law from the U.S. regime. Mark’s experience includes acting for U.S. and international clients on Canadian public company take-over bids, plans of arrangement and amalgamations, and on private asset and share purchase transactions. He also advises hedge funds and alternative asset managers on their investments in securities of publicly traded and private Canadian companies. He has acted for issuers and underwriters in placing debt and equity securities and foreign broker dealers on Canadian securities registration matters.
Mark has led inbound Canadian M&A transactions in a wide range of industries, including:
- Cerberus Capital Management on its acquisition of ABC Group, one of the world's leading automotive suppliers of thermoplastic components and systems, and subsequent sale-leaseback of ABC's real estate portfolio to W.P. Carey
- Patricia Industries, a part of Sweden's Investor AB, on its acquisition of medical technology company Laborie from Audax Private Equity
- Just Eat PLC, the world's leading online takeaway order company, on its acquisition of SkipTheDishes Restaurant Services
- Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association (TIAA), a Fortune 100 financial services organization, on certain private acquisitions
- Intrawest Resort Holdings on its acquisition of an interest in Blue Mountain Ski Resort in Ontario
- Financial advisers (including UBS, SunTrust, Perella Weinberg, Jefferies & Co. and Credit Suisse) in connection with financial opinions rendered on Canadian M&A transactions
- Aperion Management, LLC on its acquisition of Ontario Drive & Gear, an Ontario manufacturer of all terrain vehicles, and certain add-on acquisitions
- Global Infrastructure Partners in connection with certain credit and equity transactions
- Macquarie Capital on its acquisition of the Advantage Rent A Car business of Hertz and its investment in Franchise Services of North America Inc.
With deep roots and connections in the North American M&A market, Mark has experience in a number of industries, including general industrial, automotive, technology, mining, energy and medical devices. He is a frequent speaker and author in areas including Canadian cross-border trends and opportunities, private equity, M&A, corporate governance (particularly Canadian directors’ duties in contrast to Delaware law) and shareholder activism. Mark received his LLB from the University of Manitoba in 1999.
Mark received the M&A Advisor’s 40 under 40 Recognition Award in 2013.
- Co-author (with Jeremy Pleasant) “Managing Toronto from Trenton: 10 Legal Pitfalls to Avoid at Your Canadian Subsidiary” (February 2018), ACC Focus on the New Jersey Chapter
- Author, “America’s Influence on M&A: To predict future deal practice, look to the US; Canadian lawyers are watching and adopting (some) trends” (September 2017), Lexpert Magazine
- Quoted in
“Cross-border deals now the norm” (June 2017), Canadian Lawyer Magazine
McCarthy Tétrault Expands U.S. Presence with a New York Office