Lawyer Profile Detail
British Columbia, 2012
Monique is an Associate in our Labour & Employment Group. Monique has appeared as counsel in various forums, including at mediations, arbitrations, settlement conferences and before the Provincial, Supreme and Appellate Courts of British Columbia.
Equipped with an in-depth understanding of the constant evolution of the modern workplace, Monique provides strategic counsel to her clients on a range of labour, employment, and human rights matters. Her experience includes:
- advising employers on a variety of human resources and labour relations issues, including employee disability and accommodation, attendance management, taking action to avoid human rights risks and liabilities, employee hires, layoffs, and terminations, and human resources practices;
- drafting and reviewing employment, consulting, and independent contractor agreements, including restrictive covenants;
- drafting and reviewing employee and workplace policies, handbooks, and other employment-related documents;
- advising on labour and employment issues in corporate mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations;
- advising employers on labour relations processes, including collective agreement interpretation, contracting out disputes, policy grievances, work assignment disputes, employee discipline and discharge matters, unfair labour practice allegations, collective bargaining, strikes, picketing, and replacement worker issues;
- defending employers in employment related litigation, including wrongful dismissal, employment standards, labour standards, and departing employee matters;
- defending companies, municipalities and other organizations against human rights complaints, including in the areas of employment and provision of services customarily available to the public;
- preparing and providing training for management and employees, such as management best-practices training and bulling and harassment training.
Monique currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Vancouver Bar Association, and previously served as an executive member of the BC Human Rights section of the Canadian Bar Association. In her spare time, Monique serves as Co-Chair of the Professional Women's Network. The PWN is a Vancouver-based non-profit organization with over 1300 members. The PWN's aim is to raise the stature of women in business through education, networking, and opportunities for business and career development.
Monique received her BA (2005, Honours) from Huron University College at the University of Western Ontario, and her LLB (2010) from Dalhousie Law School. After graduating law school, she served as a judicial law clerk with the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Transactions & Cases
Telecon closes a C$70M Equity Financing with Clearspring Capital Partners