Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
British Columbia, 2017
Jade Buchanan is an associate in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. His practice is focused on information technology, intellectual property, anti-spam compliance, e-commerce and social media.
Jade’s technology transaction experience includes drafting and negotiating a range of IT outsourcing, licensing, maintenance and support agreements. He is also experienced in technology-focused mergers and acquisitions.
A registered trademark agent, Jade has extensive experience in trademark protection and enforcement, with particular strength dealing with online infringement of intellectual property rights. Jade has assisted with trademark protection for a range sectors, such as social networks, smartphone apps, video games, breweries, wineries and distilleries, clothing and other consumer goods companies.
Jade also has experience in all facets of the law as it relates to marketing, including the development, deployment and protection of the trademarks and copyright-protected works that comprise a brand, domain name protection and disputes, online defamation, compliance with Canada's anti-spam legislation (CASL), e-commerce (including website terms and conditions and privacy policies), and compliance with consumer protection laws and advertising regulations.
His recent experience includes:
- Counsel to client in becoming registry operator for generic top-level domain (gTLD) and outsourcing certain registry-operator functions.
- Counsel to IT entertainment services provider in acquisition of software and hardware assets.
- Lead counsel for vendor in cross-border (Canada to US) sale of assets of social media software business in entertainment sector.
- Lead on developing compliance plans, policies, and training resources for Canada’s anti-spam legislation (CASL) for clients in range of sectors, including professional services, insurance, municipal, public and lottery sectors.
Jade has presented on and technology law issues to the Canada Information Processing Society (CIPS) and the University of Saskatchewan College of Law. Topics have included cloud computing, anti-spam compliance, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets and social media.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Jade practiced with a leading western Canadian firm and clerked for the Saskatchewan Court of Appeal under the Chief Justice.
Jade obtained his Honours B.A. (High Honours) with a double major in Political Science and English from the University of Saskatchewan in 2008. He received his J.D. from Dalhousie University in 2011, where he was awarded the Horace E. Read Award for being the graduating student who made the greatest overall contribution to scholarship and student life.
Jade was called to the Saskatchewan bar in 2012 and the British Columbia bar in 2017. He is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, Law Society of Saskatchewan (inactive), and the Canadian Bar Association.
PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- "Social Media in the Workplace", Saskatchewan Association of School Business Officials (April, 2015)
- "Legal Ethics in the Marketing of Legal Services", Canadian Bar Association (Young Lawyers Section, February, 2015)
- "Legal Issues in Cloud Computing", Canadian Information Processing Society (CIPS)(January, 2015)
COMMUNITY & PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) - Associate Member
- IPIC Trademarks Legislation Committee – Vice Chair
- IPIC Trademarks Practice Committee - Member
- Canadian IT Law Association (IT.Can) - Member
- Canada Information Processing Society (CIPS) - Member
AWARDS & DISTINCTIONS
- Horace E. Read Award - Awarded to graduating student who has made the greatest overall contribution to scholarship and student life (2011)
- Schulich Scholarship in Law - Award based on academic merit and community involvement (2010)
- McCarthy Tétrault Leadership Award - Award based on academic merit and community involvement (2010)
- Hon. Richard B. Hanson Prize in Constitutional Law - Awarded for the highest mark in Constitutional Law (2010)