Lawyer Profile Detail
Benjamin T. Aberant
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Osgoode Hall Law School
Ben Aberant is a Partner in the firm’s Labour & Employment Group. He practises in both Toronto and Calgary and advises clients on both Ontario and Alberta law.
Ben represents management in a variety of labour and employment issues including employment standards, occupational health and safety, workers’ compensation, wrongful dismissals, labour board proceedings, grievances, and labour arbitrations. He has significant experience advising on employment issues arising in mergers and acquisitions and frequently works with the firm’s corporate group on transactions.
Ben advises both provincially and federally regulated employers and has conducted unjust dismissal hearings under the Canada Labour Code. He also frequently advises on human rights issues, including defence of claims, and has been the lead investigator in workplace investigation matters. He also advises clients on privacy issues arising in the workplace.
Ben received his Bachelor of Commerce (2005) from the University of Alberta where he was the Gold Medalist and his JD from Osgoode Hall Law School (2008). He is the Chief Editor of, and principal contributor to, the firm's labour and employment law blog, the Alberta Employer Advisor. Prior to his legal studies, he served in the United States Marine Corps as an Infantryman. He was called to the Alberta bar in 2009 and the Ontario bar in 2012.
- Sugiono v. Human Rights Tribunal (Ontario), 2016 ONSC 3705
- Weir-Jones Technical Services Incorporated v Purolator Courier Ltd, 2015 ABQB 468
- Alam v. Toyota Tsusho Canada Inc., 2015 HRTO 571
- IMS Health Canada Inc. v Harbin, 2014 ONSC 4350
- D'Ermes v. Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc., 2013 HRTO 2098
- LIUNA, Local 183 v. Bentall and Hallmark, (2013) O.L.R.D. No. 3505
- Kish v. LDM Yorkton Corp., 2013 C.L.A.D. No. 211
- 760437 Alberta Ltd. v. Fabutan Corp., 2012 ABQB 266
- Qualex-Landmark Investments Inc. v. Soroya, 2011 ABQB 354
Ontario Government Introduces Leaves for Caregivers
Transactions & Cases
Shell divests oil sands interests in Canada
Enbridge Inc. completes C$37 billion acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp
Enbridge Inc. Transfers Canadian Liquid Pipelines Business and Renewable Energy Assets to Enbridge Income Fund for C$30.4 billion
Direct Energy sells its Ontario home and small commerical services business to Enercare for C$550 million
Leon's completes C$700 million acquisition of The Brick
Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings completes US$654.9 million acquisition of Qualicaps
Berkshire Partners complete investment in Farm Boy