Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Osgoode Hall Law School
New York, USA, 2010
Ronald Podolny is an associate in our litigation group in Toronto. He has a broad litigation practice that includes corporate/commercial, securities, class actions and medical malpractice matters.
Mr. Podolny has represented corporations in the manufacturing, mining, real estate, technology and financial services sectors in a variety of court and regulatory proceedings. He regularly represents physicians in professional negligence and discipline cases, before courts as well as regulatory and appellate tribunals. He has also appeared at all levels of court in Ontario, as well as before the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal.
Mr. Podolny has written on a variety of topics in commercial litigation. His articles have been published in the Advocates Quarterly, Canadian Business Law Journal, Lexpert, The Lawyers Weekly, Global Insolvency & Restructuring Review and other leading industry and academic publications. His writings have been cited with approval by courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada. He speaks regularly on topics regarding constitutional and commercial litigation.
Mr. Podolny is an adjunct professor at the Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, where he teaches a course on assessment of litigation and regulatory risk.
Mr. Podolny obtained a Hons. B.A. from York University (2005) and his J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School (2008), where he was a Bronze Medalist. During his studies, he received a number of academic awards, including the McCarthy Tétrault LLP Leadership Award and the McCarthy Tétrault LLP Prize for academic standing.
Mr. Podolny was called to the Ontario Bar in 2009 and to the Bar of New York in 2010. He is a member of the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, the Advocates' Society, the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association. He is also a member of the Executive of the Civil Litigation Section of the Ontario Bar Association and the Secretary of the Young Leadership Council of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.
- Acted for a Crown corporation in an arbitration arising out of a contractual dispute
- Acted for a large financial institution in a Competition Tribunal proceeding (Commissioner of Competition v. Visa Canada Corp. et al, 2013 CACT 1)
- Acted for a large financial institution in a national class action proceeding
- Acted for an international mining company in a commercial arbitration
- Acted for an industry association in a successful challenge to a City of Toronto by-law
PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCES
- Co-author with Neil Finkelstein, “Canada v. Craig – the Common Law as the Servant of Society” (2013) 91 Can. Bar Rev. 455
- “Reasons in Commissioner of Competition v. Visa” 32 National Banking Law Review 6 (2013)
- Speaker – “Using Social Media Evidence in Litigation: Cutting-Edge Practical and Ethical Issues” Conference. The Ontario Bar Association, September 16, 2013
- Speaker - “Obtaining Leave to Appeal to the Supreme Court in Commercial Cases”. The Commons Institute. Supreme Court and Constitutional Litigation Update. June 27, 2013
- Co-chair – “Litigating the Medical Malpractice Claim” Conference. The Ontario Bar Association, April 29, 2013
- Co-author with Mark Firman “Sun Indalex Finance LLC v. United Steelworkers: The Deemed Trust Obligation Expands” 2 Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Review 3 (2013)
- Speaker – “Canada v. Craig – the Common Law as the Servant of Society.” The Commons Institute. Supreme Court and Constitutional Litigation Update. November 29, 2012
- “The U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Enforceability of Arbitration Clauses" 1 Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Review 3 (August 2012)
- “Who Is Afraid of Outsourcing - a Pragmatic Approach to a Revolutionary Development” 40 The Advocates Quarterly 167 (2012)
- Tort of Intentional Interference with Economic Relations: Is Clarity Out of Reach?” 52 Canadian Business Law Journal 63 (2012)
- Quoted in Sandra Rubin, “Rulings Boost Commercial Arbitration” Globe and Mail, January 11, 2012, B9
- Co-author with Neil Finkelstein “20 Years Later: Rethinking Lavigne v. OPSEU” 38 The Advocates Quarterly 341 (2011)
- “Dead Man Walking? Malamas v. Crerar Properties Corp. Affirms a Dissolved Corporation’s Right to Defend Itself” 49 Canadian Business Law Journal 3 (2011)
- “When ‘Friends’ Become Adversaries: Litigation in the Age of Facebook” 33 Manitoba Law Journal 2 (2010)
- Co-author with Kyla Mahar “Tracing Funds into and out of Canada in Insolvency Proceedings: Tools Employed” in Global Insolvency & Restructuring Review 2010/11 (Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC)
- “Hiding Under a Concierge’s Desk: an Urgent Call for Reform” 29 The Lawyers Weekly 35 (January 29, 2010)
- “Fixing What Ain’t Broke: In Defense of Canadian Poison Pill Regulation” 1 University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review 67 (Winter 2009)
- Co-author with Carol Hansell “The State of Corporate Governance in Canada in 2008” The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 13th Edition, 2009