Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Osgoode Hall Law School
New York, USA, 2010
Ronald Podolny is an associate in our litigation group in Toronto. He has a broad litigation practice that includes corporate/commercial, securities, class actions and medical malpractice matters.
Mr. Podolny obtained an Hons. B.A. from York University (2005) and his J.D. from Osgoode Hall Law School (2008), where he was a Bronze Medalist. During his studies, Mr. Podolny received a number of academic awards, including the McCarthy Tétrault LLP Leadership Award, the McCarthy Tétrault LLP Prize for academic standing, the Legal and Literary Society Student Honour Award and of subject matter prizes in contracts, civil procedure and criminal law. He also assisted two professors in teaching contracts and property as a Dean's Fellow. Mr. Podolny was called to the Ontario Bar in 2009 and to the Bar of New York in 2010.
Mr. Podolny has written on a variety of topics in commercial litigation. His articles have been published in the The Advocates Quarterly, Canadian Business Law Journal, Lexpert, The Lawyers Weekly, Global Insolvency & Restructuring Review and other leading industry and academic publications.
Mr. Podolny is an adjunct professor at the Osgoode Hall Law School, York University. He is a member of the Ontario Bar Association, the Canadian Bar Association, the Advocates' Society, the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association. He is the Secretary of the Civil Litigation Section of the Ontario Bar Association and a member of the Young Leadership Council of the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.
PUBLICATIONS AND CONFERENCES
- Co-chair – “Litigating the Medical Malpractice Claim” Conference. The Ontario Bar Association, April 29, 2013
- Co-author with Mark Firman “Sun Indalex Finance LLC v. United Steelworkers: The Deemed Trust Obligation Expands” 2 Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Review 3 (2013)
- Speaker – “Canada v. Craig – the Common Law as the Servant of Society.” The Commons Institute. Supreme Court and Constitutional Litigation Update. November 29, 2012
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Enforceability of Arbitration Clauses" 1 Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Review 3 (August 2012)
- "The Tort of Intentional Interference with Economic Relations: Is Clarity Out of Reach?" 52 Canadian Business Law Journal 63 (2012)
- Quoted in Sandra Rubin, "Rulings Boost Commercial Arbitration" Globe and Mail, January 11, 2012, B9
- Co-author with Neil Finkelstein "20 Years Later: Rethinking Lavigne v. OPSEU" 38 The Advocates Quarterly 341 (2011)
- "Dead Man Walking? Malamas v. Crerar Properties Corp. Affirms a Dissolved Corporation’s Right to Defend Itself" 49 Canadian Business Law Journal 3 (2011)
- "When ‘Friends’ Become Adversaries: Litigation in the Age of Facebook" 33 Manitoba Law Journal 2 (2010)
- Co-author with Kyla Mahar "Tracing Funds into and out of Canada in Insolvency Proceedings: Tools Employed" in Global Insolvency & Restructuring Review 2010/11 (Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC)
- "Hiding Under a Concierge’s Desk: an Urgent Call for Reform" 29 The Lawyers Weekly 35 (January 29, 2010)
- "Fixing What Ain’t Broke: In Defense of Canadian Poison Pill Regulation" 1 University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review 67 (Winter 2009)
- Co-author with Carol Hansell "The State of Corporate Governance in Canada in 2008" The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 13th Edition, 2009