Lawyer Profile Detail
David L. McAusland, Ad. E.
David McAusland is a senior partner in the firm of McCarthy Tétrault. He advises corporations, shareholders and entrepreneurs focusing on business development strategies, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, financings, cross-border transactions, complex negotiations and governance matters. A graduate of McGill University (BCL ’76, LLB ’77), David is a respected member of the Canadian business community and recognized as a leading corporate lawyer and business advisor with broad international experience. Throughout his career, David has pushed conventional boundaries and been at the centre of numerous large, innovative and precedent setting corporate transactions and development strategies.
David has served as a senior executive and director of and advisor to leading corporations. He previously held the position of Executive Vice-President, Corporate Development and Chief Legal Officer of Alcan Inc., a large global company where he played a leading role in the design and execution of major strategic initiatives. Before that, David was the managing partner of a major law firm where he had a dynamic practice focused on innovative capital markets transactions and solutions.
David is a highly experienced corporate director, and has been a strong advocate over many years on behalf of community and non-for-profit organizations and business causes. He currently holds the following corporate director positions and other similar functions:
- Chairman, ATS Automation Tooling Systems Inc. (technology and automated systems)
- Chairman, Montrusco Bolton Investments Inc. (institutional fund manager)
- Director and Executive Committee Member, McInnis Cement (natural resources – quarry, cement plant)
- Director and Chair of Strategic Opportunities Committee, Cogeco Inc. and Cogeco Cable Inc. (media and telecommunications)
- Director and Chair of Human Resources Committee, Cascades Inc. (fiber and packaging)
- Director, Khan Resources Inc. (natural resources – uranium)
- Chairman, Montreal General Hospital Foundation
- Chairman, National Circus School Foundation
- Co-Chair of the Major Fundraising Campaign for Musée d’archéologie et d’histoire Pointe-à-Callière
- Member, Faculty Advisory Board, Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University
- Member, Accounting Standards Oversight Council Canada
Past positions held by David include the following:
- Director, Montréal International and Chairman of the Board of the Fonds d’investissement international de Montréal (2011-2014)
- Director, Equinox Minerals Ltd. (natural resources – copper) (2008-2011)
- Director, Worldcolor Press Inc. (printing and premedia services) (2009-2010)
- Chairman of the Reform Implementation Council for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (2008-2010)
- Co-Chair of successful financing campaign for the construction of the new residence building of John Abbott College (2012-2013)
- Director, Centraide of Greater Montreal (2007-2011)
- Director, Musée d’archéologie et d’histoire Pointe-à-Callière (2005-2007)
- Member of the Ministère des finances (Québec) Advisory Committee on the restructuring of stock exchanges in Canada (1999)
- Director and Vice-Chairman of the Board of Technilab Pharma Inc. (generic pharmaceuticals) (1998-2000)
- President of the Board of Trade of Metropolitan Montreal (1998-1999)
- Director, Repap Entreprises Inc. (coated paper) (1997-1998)
- Director, Aéroports de Montréal (1996-1998) and member of the Société de promotion des Aéroports de Montréal (1996-2000)
- Member of the Picard Federal Cabinet Advisory Committee on the future of Montreal (1985-1986)
In 2015, David was awarded the title Advocatus Emeritus by the Québec bar in recognition of his professional excellence, outstanding contribution to the profession, and exceptional outreach. In 2002, he was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Medal as recognition of service to the community and public. He has been recognized in the last edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate finance & Securities, corporate commercial law, private equity and mergers & acquisitions. Best Lawyers named David as the 2017 Natural Resources Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Montreal and also lists him in their 2017 Best Lawyers in Canada guide in the area of natural resource law.
David was recognized by the Canadian General Counsel Awards with the Dealmaker Award (2005) and the Lifetime Achievement Award (2008).
David is 63 years old, is married to Katherine Dallenbach and has three children.
Transactions & Cases
CDPQ acquires 30% of Bombardier Transportation Holdco for US$1.5B
Natcan Investment Management completes C$309.5 million sale of assets to Fiera Capital
Gisement McInnis and Cimbec Canada partnership for the development of the Port Daniel cement plant project
White Tiger Gold and Century Mining complete C$742 million business combination
Rio Tinto to manage Oyu Tolgoi project under new financial agreement with Ivanhoe Mines