Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 2013
Claire Sung is an associate in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. Her practice is primarily focused on advising public and private companies on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, securities regulatory compliance and corporate governance. She also regularly advises on tax-driven corporate reorganizations and other corporate and commercial transactions and represents clients in a wide range of industries, including financial services, forestry, consumer products, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing.
Claire’s M&A experience includes advising Canadian and U.S. acquirers and targets on domestic and cross-border M&A, including public and private M&A, buy-side and sell-side auctions and private equity transactions. Claire’s representative M&A transactions include:
- counsel to Parkland Fuel Corporation in its C$1.5 billion acquisition of Chevron Canada's downstream fuel business;
- counsel to QHR Corporation in its C$170 million sale to Loblaw Companies Limited by way of plan of arrangement;
- counsel to The Original Cakerie in its sale to a U.S. private equity firm;
- counsel to the Trustees of Boston Pizza Royalties Income Fund in connection with its C$156 million acquisition of an additional 1.5% of franchise revenues from Boston Pizza International Inc.;
- Canadian counsel to General Electric in connection with its acquisition of Wurldtech;
- counsel to Del Mar Pharmaceuticals (BC) Ltd. in its cross-border exchangeable share transaction;
- counsel to Hit Technologies Inc. in connection with its reverse takeover transaction involving a capital pool company and listing on the TSX Venture Exchange; and
- counsel to Canada’s largest container grain loading facility in connection with its majority sale to a crop input and grain procurement and merchandizing company.
Claire’s capital markets experience includes advising issuers and underwriters on domestic, U.S. and cross-border public and private offerings of equity and debt, including initial public offerings, secondary and follow-on offerings, bought deal offerings, acquisition financings and high-yield debt offerings. Claire’s representative capital markets transactions include:
- counsel to the underwriters in connection with Zymeworks Inc.’s US$64 million dual-listed cross-border initial public offering;
- counsel to Brian Hill, as selling shareholder, in connection with Aritzia Inc.’s C$460 million initial public offering by way of secondary offering and C$350 million bought-deal offering;
- counsel to Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Incorporated in connection with its US$500 million note offering as part of its acquisition financing;
- counsel to Methanex Corporation in connection with its US$600 million prospectus bond offering;
- counsel to BC Ferries in connection with its C$200 million bond offering;
- counsel to the Trustees of Boston Pizza Royalties Income Fund in connection with its C$112 million bought deal prospectus offering of subscription receipts as part of its acquisition financing;
- counsel to the underwriters in connection with Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Limited’s C$200 million cross-border high yield note offering;
- counsel to the underwriters in connection with AutoCanada Inc.’s C$150 million high yield debt offering and C$200 million treasury and secondary prospectus offerings; and
- counsel to Timbercreek Mortgage Investment Corporation in connection with its C$30 million bought deal prospectus offering of convertible debentures.
Claire received her B.A. and J.D. from the University of British Columbia. She joined McCarthy Tétrault as a summer student and was called to the British Columbia bar in 2013. Claire is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Law Society of British Columbia, the Vancouver Bar Association, the Association of Women in Finance and the Association for Corporate Growth.
Transactions & Cases
Parkland Fuel acquires Chevron Canada's downstream fuel business for C$1.5B
Zymeworks raises US$58.5M in IPO
Aritzia Inc. completes its secondary offering of 20,100,000 subordinate voting shares
QHR Corporation and Loblaw Companies Limited complete C$170M acquisition
Aritzia Completes C$460M IPO
Gryphon Investors Announces Majority Investment in The Original Cakerie
iCo Therapeutics completes C$3.4 million unit prospectus offering