Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 2011
Gillian Piggott is an associate in our Real Property & Planning group in Vancouver. Her practice is primarily focused on commercial real estate and municipal matters. She has experience in the acquisition, development and sale of development property, including development property located on First Nations’ lands. Gillian regularly advises on Real Estate Development Marketing Act issues, real estate financing, disclosure statements and strata property, land title, leasing, heritage conservation and municipal land use issues. In addition, Gillian has been involved in zoning, permitting and regulatory compliance matters relating to the development of energy and natural resource-based projects.
Gillian’s experience includes:
- Advising clients on land use and regulatory issues, including subdivision, servicing, zoning, rezoning, permitting, development cost charges, non-conforming use, road creation, road closure and other issues relating to local government approval processes;
- Acting for developers in all aspects of commercial, residential and mixed use developments, including single family residential, multi-family residential, bare land, airspace, strata property, phases strata property and leasehold strata property developments;
- Acting for developers in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of renewable power projects including run of river hydroelectric power projects, wind power projects and biomass thermal energy production projects;
- Advising clients on real property tenures and rights including tenures of and rights to use Crown land, First Nations’ lands and Indian reserve lands;
- Working with local governments, public utilities and various governmental and regulatory authorities with respect to real estate development and land use issues; and
- Advising clients on heritage conservation and agricultural land reserve matters.
Gillian received her JD from the University of British Columbia in 2010. She was called to the British Columbia bar in 2011. She is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and the Canadian Bar Association.
Title to First Nations Land in British Columbia
Increased Strength and Presence for McCarthy Tétrault’s Real Property Group in Vancouver
Transactions & Cases
Innergex Renewable Energy completes C$72 million financing for Northwest Stave River hydroelectric project
Parkbridge Lifestyle Communities completes C$85.75 million purchase of mobile home park portfolio
Innergex Renewable Energy completes C$68.6 million purchase of Brown Lake and Miller Creek hydroelectric facilities
Kwoiek Creek Resources Limited Partnership closes non-recourse construction and term project financing
Bentall Kennedy acquires Bentall V tower in downtown Vancouver