Lawyer Profile Detail
University of Calgary
Wilson Acton is a Partner in our Business Law Group in Calgary with a corporate practice focused on corporate finance, securities and M&A transactions. His experience includes advising a variety of clients, including oil and gas exploration and production companies, pipeline and midstream companies, oilfield supply and service companies, agricultural supply and processing companies, retail and customer focused businesses, fintech and technology companies, special committees, boards of directors, underwriters and investment dealers.
Wilson’s experience covers a wide range of matters both domestically and internationally, including private and public offerings in Canada and the United States, recapitalizations, asset and share transactions, plans of arrangement, stock exchange listings, corporate creation and organization, corporate governance matters, special committee mandates and dissenting shareholder disputes. His experience also includes advising start-up and evolving companies on corporate and commercial matters across all stages of their growth and maturity including on the formation, organization and financing of early stage companies through navigating the uncertainties of a developing business in a rapidly changing industry to the acquisition or disposition of technology related ventures with a particular focus on blockchain and cryptocurrency related enterprises.
Wilson is a member and chairperson of the board of directors of KidSport Calgary, an organization dedicated to helping remove the financial obstacles that prevent some youth from participating in organized sport.
Wilson received his BSc (with Distinction) from the University of Saskatchewan in Agricultural Economics in 2005 and his JD from the University of Calgary in 2008. He was called to the Alberta bar in 2009 and is a member of the Law Society of Alberta, the Canadian Bar Association and the Calgary Bar Association. Wilson is also an honorary lifetime member of the Saskatchewan Agricultural Graduates Association as a result of his significant contributions to the University of Saskatchewan College of Agriculture and Bioresources and the agriculture community in Saskatchewan.
Representative transactions include:
- Enbridge Inc. in its $37 billion acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp. to create the largest energy infrastructure company in North America
- Transfer of Enbridge Inc.’s Canadian liquid pipelines business and certain renewable energy assets to Enbridge Income Fund for $30.4 billion together with certain performance and incentive rights. This transaction, which was considered transformative for Enbridge Income Fund, was one of the largest M&A and related-party transactions in Canadian history.
- Enbridge’s numerous public offerings of equity, debt, convertible and hybrid securities totalling more than $16.9 billion since 2013. Such offerings have included cross-border transactions, short form prospectus offerings and shelf prospectus renewals and utilizations by way of prospectus and pricing supplements.
- Disposition by BlackBridge Corp. of its geospatial imagery business including its five-satellite Earth-imaging constellation as well as an archive of 6 billion square kilometers of imagery captured over the past six years to Planet Labs.
- Offering of $1.5 billion subscription receipts of Baytex Energy Corp. by a syndicate of underwriters led by Scotia Capital Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Aurora Oil & Gas Ltd. for approximately $2.6 billion.Recapitalization of each of Alexander Energy, PanTerra Resource and Elkwater Resources by the management teams of Spartan Energy, Ikkuma Resources and Striker Exploration, respectively, including rights offerings, share consolidations, asset acquisitions and follow-on public offerings.
- Private equity financing of Westbrick Energy Ltd., a private natural gas focused exploration and production company, by a large U.S. based strategic financial partner.
- Acquisition by Spartan Energy of Renegade Petroleum Ltd. valued at approximately $495 million.
- Acquisition by PKN ORLEN, a Polish petroleum and petrochemical company, of TriOil Resources Ltd., a TSX-V listed company, for total cash consideration of $183.7 million.Acquisition of Spartan Oil Corp. by way of plan of arrangement by Bonterra Energy Corp. pursuant to an unsolicited superior proposal to acquire Spartan Oil after the announcement of the acquisition of Spartan Oil by Pinecrest Energy Inc. The acquisition of Spartan Oil by Bonterra was valued at approximately $480 million.
- Four party plan of arrangement by Seaview Energy with Charger Energy Corp., Silverback Energy and Sirius Energy. As part of this business combination, Seaview Energy also effected a conversion of all of the outstanding Class B shares into Class A shares and subsequent Class A share consolidation.
- Acquisition of Spartan Exploration by Penn West Petroleum valued at $244 million and the creation and spin-out of Spartan Oil Corp. This transaction also including the acquisition and subsequent transfer by Spartan Exploration to Spartan Oil of certain oil and gas assets from NuVista Energy, a concurrent financing of Spartan Oil and concurrent listing of the common shares of Spartan Oil on the TSX.
- Reorganization and acquisition of Colter Energy Services, a private well site production testing company, by a strategic financial partner focused on the North American oil and gas sector.
- Adoption by Gibson Energy Inc. of a stock dividend plan, a new form of reinvestment plan allowing shareholders the opportunity to receive dividends paid in the form of stock instead of cash resulting in more favourable tax treatment than a traditional dividend reinvestment plan or cash dividends.
Transactions & Cases
Enbridge Inc. completes C$37B acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp
Enbridge Inc. completes C$2.3B common share offering
Enbridge Inc. Transfers Canadian Liquid Pipelines Business and Renewable Energy Assets to Enbridge Income Fund for C$30.4 billion
ORLEN Upstream completes C$183.7 million acquisition of TriOil Resources
Union Gas completes C$250 million medium term note debenture offering
Enbridge completes C$600 million preferred share offering
Enbridge closes US$400 million preferred share offering
Enbridge Income Fund Holdings completes C$95.5 million common share offering
Spartan Oil completes C$480 million sale to Bonterra Energy
Enbridge completes C$1.164 billion sale of crude oil storage and renewable power generation assets to Enbridge Income Fund