Lawyer Profile Detail
Université de Montréal
Michèle Lefaivre is a Partner in our Business Law Group in Montréal.
Her practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and subsequent investments and divestitures and advising businesses on corporate and commercial law matters.
Michèle has acted for numerous corporate and private equity clients from Canada, the U.S. and abroad in Canadian or international mergers and acquisitions across various industries. She also advises corporate clients on a regular basis on a variety of corporate and commercial matters relating to their business.
Michèle’s recent transactional experience includes:
- advising Singer Equities in connection with its purchase of all of the shares of Future Hydraulik Inc.;
- advising Dubé & Loiselle inc. in connection with the sale of all of its shares to Robraye Management Ltd.;
- advising BCE in its acquisition of Astral Media by way of plan of arrangement for approximately $3.2 billion;
- advising Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec (F.T.Q.) in connection with the acquisition of a majority interest in Les Brasseurs du Nord, the microbrewery that produces Boréale beers;
- advising Mouvement Desjardins in connection with a plan of arrangement under which Mouvement Desjardins acquired an initial 40% interest in Qtrade Financial Group, a major online brokerage platform;
- advising Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in connection with Gaz Métro's sale of its stake in HydroSolution, a company in which the Caisse holds a participating interest;
- advising Groupe Pétrolier Norcan Inc. in connection with the sale of a 33% interest in Norcan oil terminal to Irving Oil;
- advising La Coop fédérée in its acquisition of all of the equity interests of Agrico Canada Ltd.; and
- acting as legal counsel to Desjardins Financial Corporation in its $443 million acquisition of Western Financial Group.
Michèle is also involved in a variety of committees and organizations in the business community, including as a board member of Young Canadians in Finance (YCIF). She is also a co-founder of Les 100 gens qui s’impliquent, a Montreal-based philanthropic organization. She is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Young Bar Association of Montréal.
Michèle received her LLB from the Université de Montréal in 2006, and completed a graduate diploma in North American Common Law in 2007. She was called to the Québec bar in 2008.
Year in Review: Technology Law
Review of the year in IT law
Heartland Security Breach — A Cautionary Tale for Service Providers
Credit Card Data Theft: TJX and Hannaford Brothers Inc. Hacker Pleads Guilty to 19 Charges
Federal Budget Contains Initiatives for the Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) Sector
Transactions & Cases
Canam Group announces going-private transaction by a group of investors led by the Dutil Family
BCE announces agreement to acquire Manitoba Telecom Services (MTS) for C$3.9B
Saputo completes the closing of a secondary offering
National Bank of Canada completes C$690M issuance of inaugural Panda Bonds
Dubé & Loiselle Inc. completes the sale of all of its shares to Robraye Management Ltd.
IMI plc completes acquisition of Analytical Flow Products
Bell Media completes C$3.38 billion acquisition of Astral Media
Desjardins Group acquires 40% of Qtrade Financial Group's shares
Groupe Pétrolier Norcan completes sale of 33% stake in Norcan Oil Terminal to Irving Oil
Groupe Confort and Caisse de dépôt et de placement du Québec complete C$45.5 million acquisition of stake in HydroSolution