Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Western Ontario
Richard Higa is a partner in the firm’s Business Law Group in Toronto and is the Chair of the McCarthy Tétrault’s Project Management Committee. Mr. Higa’s practice focuses on all aspects of structured, acquisition and cross-border financings, including debtor-in-possession financings, asset-based lending, bilateral and syndicated financings, Term B loans, second lien loans, private equity, mezzanine financings, note and bond financings, as well as securitization. Mr. Higa represents a number of large Canadian and foreign banks and other financial institutions.
- Acted for Maple Acquisition on the $1.6 billion financing of its acquisition of TMX Inc. (which was rated by Lexpert as the "2012 Deal of the Year");
- Acted for Chrysler Canada on the $2.3-billion government financing;
- Acted for Royal Bank of Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Bank of Montreal, Toronto Dominion and National Bank on their $3-billion term loan to Manulife Financial Corporation;
- Acted for Norbord Inc. on its placement of $240 million of high yield notes;
- Acted for CIBC with respect to $15 million asset based financing of a manufacturing company; and
- Acted for GE Capital on a $1.1 billion asset based financing of Hudsons Bay Company.
Mr. Higa is a regular conference speaker, including: the Intensive Course in Commercial Loan Finance and Security, and the Commercial Loan Finance and Security Annual Conference.
In 2017, Mr. Higa was recognized as "Lawyer of the Year" for Banking and Finance Law in Toronto by Best Lawyers in Canada. He is recommended in Chambers Global: Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers for Business and in Chambers Canada as a leading lawyer in the area of banking and finance. He is listed a leading lawyer in the area of banking in the most recent edition of Who's Who Legal: Canada. He is listed in the current edition of Lexpert/The American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the areas of banking and financial institutions and in the most recent edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, as a leading lawyer in the areas of asset-based lending, banking and financial institutions, and asset equipment finance/leasing. He is also listed as one of The Best Lawyers in Canada in the areas of banking and finance law and equipment finance law.
Mr. Higa received his LLB from the University of Western Ontario in 1988, and was called to the Ontario bar in 1990.
Transactions & Cases
Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan acquires BrightPath Early Learning Inc.
Bluesky Hotels and Resorts completes $2.1B acquisition of InnVest REIT
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board to acquire Antares Capital from GE Capital Corporation for US$12B
Fairfax leads investor group in US$1.25 billion investment in BlackBerry
Centric Health Corporation completes C$200 million high-yield note offering
GE Global Sponsor Finance provides financing for MidOcean Partners' acquisition of Noranco
Maple Group completes acquisition of TMX Group, CDS and Alpha Group
CIBC completes C$175 million loan facility for Catalyst Paper
Norbord completes US$240 million high yield note offering
Insight Equity completes acquisition of A.P. Plasman and Invotronics