Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Osgoode Hall Law School
Jamie Orzech is a partner in the Real Property & Planning Group in Toronto. His practice focuses on most aspects commercial real estate, including acquisitions and dispositions of all asset classes; retail, industrial and commercial leasing including ground lease and sale lease back transactions; borrower and lender side financing transactions, including securitizations and bond financings; real estate development projects including condominium and subdivision development. Jamie has extensive experience in the structure and implementation of real estate joint ventures, co-ownerships and other multi-ownership structures. He represents pension funds, REITs, government agencies, developers, financial institutions, public and private real estate managers, and life insurance companies. He is recognized in the current edition of Chambers Canada for real estate law. He is listed in the current edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to leading law firms and practitioners, as a leading lawyer in the areas of property development and project finance.
- $2,400,000,000 acquisition of a 150-property office and industrial property portfolio. At the time this transaction was the largest real estate acquisition in Canadian history.
- $2,000,000,000 acquisition of a 23-property office tower portfolio. At the time this transaction was the second largest real estate acquisition in Canadian history.
- $1,500,000,000 sale and purchase of 5 regional shopping malls across Canada.
- $1,000,000,000 sale of a 79-property office and industrial portfolio in Ontario.
- $760,000,000 sale of a 68-property office and industrial portfolio in Ontario and Quebec.
- $720,000,000 credit facility on a 95-property Canadian hotel portfolio.
- Acquisition of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre and adjacent Hotel Intercontinental.
- Acted for partner in a 50/50 joint for over 2.5 million square feet of retail space in two regional shopping malls in Quebec and Ontario.
- Acquisition of a five-tower residential apartment building complex, Toronto, Ontario.
- $450,000,000 credit facility on a 25-property Canadian office portfolio.
- $336,000,000 purchase of a 52-property industrial portfolio in Mississauga Ontario.
- Sale of the Four Seasons Hotel, Toronto, Ontario.
- $263,000,000 sale of Bell Trinity Square in Toronto, Ontario.
- $220,000,000 sale of Class A Twin Office Tower Complex in downtown Toronto, Ontario.
Mr. Orzech received his BA from the University of Western Ontario in 1998 and his LLB from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2001. Mr. Orzech was called to the Ontario Bar in 2002.
He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Law Society of Upper Canada and affiliated with Pro Bono Canada.
Transactions & Cases
Bluesky Hotels and Resorts completes $2.1B acquisition of InnVest REIT
CTC and Kilmer Developments to develop gas bars and convenience stores for Ontario's highway service centres
GE Capital sells Real Estate Portfolio to Blackstone and Wells Fargo
Royal Gold completes US$75M gold streaming agreement with Rubicon Minerals
Oxford Properties and CPPIB enter into Canadian retail joint venture
GE Canada Real Estate Equity sells Ontario property portfolio for C$1 billion
Leon's completes C$700 million acquisition of The Brick
TransCanada Energy enters arrangements for replacement gas-fired electrical generating station
Berkshire Partners complete investment in Farm Boy
Enwave Energy completes C$480 million sale to Brookfield