Lawyer Profile Detail
University of New Brunswick
New Brunswick, 2002
British Columbia, 2002
TJ Kang is a partner in our Vancouver office and specializing in Tax Law. He provides tax advice to both public and private enterprises relating to domestic and international planning, structuring of inbound and outbound investments, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations and capital market transactions.
TJ has presented and written on taxation matters at various seminars and conferences and in various publications.
TJ is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, the Law Society of Alberta, the Canadian Bar Association and the Canadian Tax Foundation.
His recent experience includes:
- General Electric acquisition of Bit Stew Systems Inc. for $205 million;
- Geo-Jade Petroleum Corporation’s $575 million acquisition of Bankers Petroleum Ltd. by way of plan of arrangement;
- Compañía Minera Milpo S.A.A. (Milpo)’s $250 million silver stream transaction on Cerro Lindo Mine with Triple Flag Mining Finance Ltd.;
- ActiveState Software Inc.’s disposition of its Stackato Business to Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company;
- Spectra Energy’s $24 billion LNG terminal/$8 billion pipeline joint venture with BG Group;
- Sunshine Oilsands Ltd.’s $580 million initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange;
- Spectra Energy’s $1.49 billion acquisition of the Express-Platte Pipeline System; and
- Enbridge Inc.’s $1.15 billion U.S. note offering.
2016 CANADIAN FEDERAL BUDGET COMMENTARY – TAX INITIATIVES
BEPS 2014 Deliverables – OECD Releases First Set of Recommendations
Let’s Make a Deal — M&A Deal Structures that Work
The Supreme Court of Canada Applies "Central Management and Control Test" in Determining Residency of a Trust
REIT Tax Rules Modified
Late-Filing Penalties for Non-Resident Corporations
US LLCs may claim refunds in certain circumstances
Canadian Income Trusts and Their Distributions To Be Taxed by the Federal Government
Transactions & Cases
Compañía Minera Milpo and Triple Flag Mining Finance announce US$250M silver stream transaction on Cerro Lindo Mine
Cara Completes C$93M Acquisition of Majority Interest in Original Joe’s
General Electric acquires Bit Stew for C$205 million
QHR Corporation and Loblaw Companies Limited complete C$170M acquisition
Bankers Petroleum and Geo-Jade Petroleum complete C$575 million plan of arrangement
The Dow Chemical Company completes the sale of MEGlobal to EQUATE Petrochemical Company K.S.C.
Gryphon Investors Announces Majority Investment in The Original Cakerie
Hewlett Packard Acquires ActiveState’s Stackato Business
IAMGOLD sells Niobec Mine for USD$530 Million to a group of companies led by Magris Resources
Argo Data Resource completes acquisition of Advanced Software Design