Lawyer Profile Detail
University of Western Ontario
Patrick McCay is a partner in the Toronto office and specializes in tax law.
Patrick’s practice focuses on the tax elements of corporate and commercial transactions, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, reorganizations, structured finance and other capital markets transactions. Patrick also represents clients in significant transfer pricing matters and in disputes with tax authorities. His recent experience includes acting for:
- RIA Telecommunications and Euronet Worldwide in their acquisition of XE Corporation for cash and stock
- Slate Office REIT in its $430M acquisition of commercial real estate from Fortis for cash and units
- Nieuport Aviation Infrastructure Partners in its acquisition of Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Passenger Terminal from Porter Aviation Holdings Inc.
- Constellium on the establishment of an aluminum auto parts joint venture in Canada
- Goreway Power Station in respect of a number of transactions in respect of its 875 MW natural gas-fired combined cycle power generation facility.
- Direct Energy in the sale of its Ontario home and small commercial services business to Enercare for $550M in cash and stock
- Aastra Technologies Inc. in its public cash and stock merger transaction with Mitel
- Belden Inc. in connection with its acquisition of TSX listed Miranda Technologies Inc.
- S.C. Johnson in its sale of Canada’s Fruits & Passion to TheFaceShop, a subsidiary of LG
- Bouygues Energies in its acquisition of a majority interest in Plan Group construction
- Marcopolo SA in its strategic investment ($116M) in New Flyer Industries Inc. (TSX)
- Leon's Furniture in its $700M acquisition of The Brick (TSX) for cash and stock
- Kobo Inc. on its sale to Rakuten Inc.
- Avaya Inc. in its USD$ 900M acquisition of the enterprise solutions business from Nortel
- BCE in its acquisition of CTV for $3.2B
Patrick has a wealth of experience in acting for dealers and issuers in corporate finance and other capital markets transactions. His recent experience includes equity, debt and structured transactions for:
- Constellation Software; Slate Retail REIT; Slate Office REIT; FAM REIT; Summit Industrial Income REIT; Timbercreek Mortgage Investment Corp
He is a former member of the executive of the tax section of the Ontario Bar Association. He is a member of the Canadian Tax Foundation, the International Fiscal Association and the American Bar Association tax section.
Patrick was named by the International Tax Review as one to watch for the future and was a finalist in Lexpert’s Rising Stars Leading Lawyers Under 40.
He has lectured in tax law at the University of Western Ontario. He speaks on tax matters for the Canadian Tax Foundation; InfoNex; Federated Press; the Ontario Bar Association, the American Bar Association and at other forums. He contributes to publications on taxation matters, including publications of CCH, the International Tax Review, Lexpert, and the Canadian Tax Journal.
2017 CANADIAN FEDERAL BUDGET COMMENTARY – TAX INITIATIVES
2016 CANADIAN FEDERAL BUDGET COMMENTARY – TAX INITIATIVES
Economic Action Plan 2015 – The Election Budget
Economic Action Plan 2014 – International Tax Planning Under Continued Assault
Canadian "Thin Capitalization" Rules: Further Broadening
Economic Action Plan 2013 – Closing More Tax Planning Opportunities
2012 Ontario Budget Release
5th Taxation of Inbound Investment
2010 Federal Budget — Implications for Tech Companies
Cross-Border Tax Structures and Tax Treaties
Transactions & Cases
Stelco Holdings Inc. closes US$100M Inventory Monetization Transaction
Rhône Capital to make US$500 million equity investment in HBC
Nexa Resources completes US$570M IPO
Financing for acquisition of Sandvine Corporation by affiliate of Francisco Partners
InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund Partners acquire stake in Skyservice Investments Inc.
Bluesky Hotels and Resorts completes $2.1B acquisition of InnVest REIT
Affinia Group completes its merger with MANN+HUMMEL for USD $1.32 billion
RIA Telecommunications of Canada Inc. and Euronet Worldwide, Inc. acquire XE Corporation
Direct Energy sells its Ontario home and small commerical services business to Enercare for C$550 million
AFA Forest Products completes C$4 million asset sale to Vizusolution