Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 2004
Cameron Whyte* is a partner in the Vancouver office practising in the Real Property and Planning Group. His practice focuses on the acquisition, disposition, development and financing of multi-family residential real estate projects and commercial income properties.
Many of the projects with which Cameron has been involved have been structured as partnerships or joint ventures. He also regularly advises real estate companies on general corporate/commercial matters.
Cameron's recent experience includes:
- the leveraged buyout of a large real estate development partnership by its minority partner;
- acting on the purchase and sale of numerous shopping centres, office buildings and industrial properties;
- acting for developers of multi-family residential, mixed use and commercial developments in the Lower Mainland, Vancouver Island and the Okanagan;
- the syndication of real estate development projects and investment properties through partnership and joint venture structures;
- acting for borrowers in term, construction and mezzanine loan transactions;
- structuring and implementing reorganizations for real estate companies and partnerships including reorganizations enabling key employees to participate in profits; and
- acting for commercial landlords and tenants in the preparation and negotiation of leases.
Cameron recently co-authored an article entitled "When a struggling tenant is better than no tenant" published in The Lawyers Weekly.
Cameron attended the University of British Columbia and obtained a B.Comm. with an Urban Land Economics option in 1998 and an LLB in 2003. He was called to the British Columbia bar in 2004 and is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and the Canadian Bar Association.
* denotes Law Corporation
Keeping It Enforceable: The Essential Terms of a Purchase Contract
The Importance of Amending the Certificate of Limited Partnership When Capital Contributions Change
Directors’ Liabilities under the Real Estate Development Marketing Act (British Columbia) and the Availability of Due Diligence Defences
Transactions & Cases
Bentall Kennedy acquires Bentall V tower in downtown Vancouver
Madison Pacific Properties purchases Ballard Power Systems' head office for C$20.75 million
Apex Limited Partnership sells substantially all of the assets of Centrex Homes Edmonton Limited Partnership
MDC Properties acquire shopping centre located at 26310 Fraser Highway, Langley, B.C.