Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
+44 (0)20 7786 5747
University of Witwatersrand
British Columbia, 2003
South Africa, 1997
Roger Taplin is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Business Law Group and is the co-leader of the Global Mining Group. His practice is primarily focused on the areas of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and securities, particularly in the mining sector.
Mr. Taplin’s experience includes advising on significant mining M&A transactions, including friendly and hostile takeover bids, business combinations, share or asset sales and joint ventures. He acts for issuers and underwriters on public and private securities offerings as well as providing general securities regulatory and corporate advice to public companies. He has acted for mining clients and banks in relation to sizeable mining projects in numerous international jurisdictions.
Mr. Taplin appears in The Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of mergers and acquisitions law. He is also featured in both Chambers Canada and Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the areas of Energy & Natural Resources: Mining (Canada) and Projects: Mining: Leading Canadian Firms (Latin America-wide). He appears in the 2016 edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate mid-market and mining, and is recognized as one of the world’s leading practitioners in Who’s Who Legal: Canada 2015 and The International Who’s Who of Mining Lawyers. Finally, Mr. Taplin is listed as leading lawyer in the area of energy: mining in the current edition of The Legal 500 - Canada.
For the sixth consecutive year, Mr. Taplin received the Client Choice Award for his leadership in energy and natural resources law in British Columbia from International Law Office’s (ILO) Lexology 2017 Client Choice Awards. Mr. Taplin also received the 2012 Client Choice Award for Energy & Natural Resources in Canada from International Law Office (ILO). He is a fellow of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and a member of the Mining Law Committee of the International Bar Association.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault in May, 2003, Mr. Taplin was a partner at Deneys Reitz Attorneys in Johannesburg, South Africa. During 1998, he was seconded to Slaughter and May solicitors in London, U.K. as a visiting lawyer. He received a BA in Political Science (cum laude) and Law in 1992, and his LLB in 1994 (cum laude) from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Mr. Taplin was called to the British Columbia bar in 2003, and was admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 1997.
Recent representative transactions that Mr. Taplin has acted on include:
- Lead counsel to Glencore plc on the sale of a gold and silver stream in the Antapaccay mine in Peru to Franco-Nevada for US$500 million and certain ongoing payments;
- Lead counsel to Glencore plc on the sale of a silver stream in the Antamina Mine in Peru to Silver Wheaton for US$900 million and certain ongoing payments;
- Lead counsel to Goldcorp on the formation of the $3.5billion Corridor joint venture with Teck Resources Limited in relation to their respective El Morro and Relincho projects in Chile, including the concurrent acquisition by Goldcorp of New Gold’s 30% interest in the El Morro project for US$90 million and a 4% gold stream on future gold production;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc in their option and joint venture agreement with Avannaa Resources Ltd. concerning a copper exploration project in Jameson Land, Greenland;
- Lead counsel to Northcliff Resources Ltd. in its C$19 million investment agreement with Todd Minerals Ltd. with respect to Northcliff Resources Ltd.’s Sisson tungsten-molybdenum project in New Brunswick, Canada by way of a private placement by Todd in Northcliff Resources Ltd. and the formation of a limited partnership between the parties;
- Lead counsel to Quintana Resources in their investment by way of a private placement of secured and unsecured convertible notes of up to C$10 million in Western Pacific Resources and a related C$8.5 million base metals streaming arrangement;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc in their joint venture agreement with Altius Mineral Corporation relating to an investment of up to C$20 million by Anglo American in Altius’ Natashquan nickel-copper-cobalt-platinum-palladium project in southern Labrador, Canada;
- Lead counsel to Silvercorp Metals Inc. in relation to its sale of its Silvertip silver-lead-zinc property in British Columbia and related assets to an arm’s length private Canadian company for C$15.1 million and a 2.5% Net Smelter Royalty;
- Counsel to Rio Tinto plc in connection with their interest in Ivanhoe Mines Ltd. and in relation to the US$7 billion Oyu Tolgoi copper/gold project in Mongolia;
- Lead counsel to the special committee of Continental Minerals in relation to their C$447 million acquisition by Jinchuan Group Ltd.;
- Lead Canadian counsel to Anooraq Resources in their acquisition of controlling interest in Lebowa Platinum Mine in South Africa from Anglo Platinum for C$400 million and related financings;
- Lead Canadian counsel to China Minmetals Nonferrous Metals in its acquisition of OZ Minerals for C$1.69 billion;
- Lead Canadian counsel to Anglo American plc in their acquisition of Anglo Ferrous Brazil S.A. from MMX for US$5.5 billion;
- Canadian counsel to a syndicate of underwriters in First Quantum Minerals’ completion of a C$345 million overnight marketed public offering;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc in its US$1.425 billion acquisition of a 50% interest in the Pebble Project Partnership in Alaska with Northern Dynasty Minerals Limited;
- Lead counsel to Gold Fields Ltd. on the sale to Orezone Resources of their interest in the Essakane Joint Venture in Burkino Faso for US$200 million and a 12.2% interest in Orezone;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc on the US$140 million sale of its 40% interest in the Lobo-Marte gold project in Chile to Kinross Gold Corporation;
- Lead counsel to Gold Fields Ltd. on the formation of its joint venture with Orsu Metals Corporation for the development of the Talas project in Kyrgyzstan;
- Lead counsel to Anglo American plc on the C$173 million formation of the Peace River Coal Limited Partnership in British Columbia and related mining and exploration projects;
- Lead counsel to Heatherdale Resources on the formation of the Niblack joint venture in Alaska with Committee Bay Resources;
- Lead counsel to Curis Resources on the acquisition of the Florence Copper project in Arizona;
- Lead counsel to Constantia Resources on the US$60 million acquisition of a strategic interest in European Nickel plc and the development of the Caldag project in Turkey; and
- Lead counsel to Gold Fields Ltd. in relation to the formation of the Woodjam joint venture in British Columbia.
Mergers & Acquisitions in a More Uncertain World: Using the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
The Differing Perspectives of Junior and Major Mining Companies in Joint Ventures
TMX and LSE Merger: What Does it Mean for our Clients and Friends?
Mining Law Update: Bill C-300
BCSC Facilitates Fast-Track Mining Financings: Pre-Filing Review of Mining Technical Disclosure
IFRS Early Adoption Exemption Application — Rationale, Requirements and Process
Disclosure of Material Changes in the Context of Mining Rights Held by an Issuer
Defusing mining and other foreign investment disputes in foreign lands
Disclosure of Material Changes in the Context of Mining Rights held by an Issuer
Confidentiality Agreements: Do You Know What You Are Agreeing To?
McCarthy Tétrault publishes seventh edition of Mining in the Courts
A record number of Client Choice Awards for McCarthy Tétrault partners
Two Client Choice Awards for McCarthy Tétrault partners
McCarthy Tétrault partners receive Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault is recognized in Chambers Latin America 2015
McCarthy Tétrault lawyers recognized with Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault’s mining expertise is "very much in demand"
McCarthy Tétrault is recognized in Chambers Latin America 2014
McCarthy Tétrault is honoured with four Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault’s Roger Taplin wins Client Choice Award from International Law Office
Transactions & Cases
Shell divests oil sands interests in Canada
Centerra Gold Inc. completes US$1.1B acquisition of Thompson Creek Metals Company Inc.
Compañía Minera Milpo and Triple Flag Mining Finance Announce US$250M Silver Stream Transaction on Cerro Lindo Mine
Advising Hummingbird Resources PLC on a Mineral Development Agreement signed with Government of Liberia for 4.2Moz Dugbe Gold Project
Turquoise Hill Resources sells 50% interest in Altynalmas Gold to Sumeru Gold for US$235 million
Anglo American completes acquisition of 40% stake in De Beers
Heatherdale closes C$4.4 million private placement financing
Heatherdale Resources completes acquisition of Niblack Mineral Development
Anglo American acquires 50% interest in claims and property interests related to Ashuanipi Property
Anglo Coal Canada completes C$73 million acquisition of an interest in Peace River Coal Limited Partnership