Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Lara Nathans is the leader of our National Retail and Consumer Markets Group (which includes the Consumer Products; Retail; Food, Beverage and Agribusiness; Hospitality; and Franchise & Distribution sectors), and a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. Ms. Nathans regularly acts on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance matters and corporate reorganizations. She advises global companies entering the Canadian market on their market entry strategies and related legal issues. In addition, she regularly provides advice to public company clients on securities law requirements, including continuous disclosure and corporate governance and provides ongoing corporate commercial and securities law advice to a number of private and public companies.
Her recent transactional experience includes representing:
- A number of significant US retailers and consumer product distributors on the establishment and operation of their businesses in Canada;
- Fyffes plc in its acquisition of Highline Produce Limited, Canada's largest mushroom business;
- Fairmont Raffles Hotels International in connection with the entering into of an agreement for its sale to Accor Hotels;
- New Balance and Berkshire Partners LLC in connection with their acquisition of The Rockport Company from the adidas Group;
- Leon’s Furniture Limited on its acquisition of The Brick Ltd;
- Corby Spirit and Wine in respect of its sale of the Canadian rights to Seagram Coolers to Brick Brewing Co. Limited and the sale of 17 brands and the shares of the subsidiary that owned its manufacturing facility to Sazerac Company Inc;
- Canadian Tire Bank in connection with the sale of its retail mortgage portfolio;
- Leon’s Furniture Limited in connection with its acquisition of Appliance Canada Inc;
- Goldman Sachs Capital Partners in the acquisition of Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc;
- Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Inc. in respect of its sale to Kingdom Hotels International and Colony Capital;
- Southern Graphic Systems – Canada Co. in numerous acquisitions of private companies;
- Infrastructure Ontario on the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games Athlete’s Village project.
Ms. Nathans has taught Advanced Securities Law at the Faculty of Law at Queen’s University and Securities Law at the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario. She speaks regularly on corporate and securities law matters and on issues affecting retailers and consumer facing businesses, including at the Retail Industry Leader’s Association’s Retail Law Conference and at the firm’s annual Consumer Products & Retail Summit.
Ms. Nathans received her BA (Hons) in History and American Studies from Brandeis University in 1992 and graduated with her LL.B from Queen’s University in 2001. At Queen's, she was the articles editor of the Queen's Law Journal and was awarded three multiple course awards for outstanding academic performance. She was called to the Ontario bar in 2002.
Industry Canada Says It Will Give Exemptions to CBCA Issuers Wishing to Use Notice-and-Access for Proxy Materials
A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned?
New Notice-and-Access Process – Streamlined Delivery of Proxy Materials, but Use With Care!
9th Annual Disclosure & Governance Seminar
Disclosure Falling Short — Results of the CSA Continuous Disclosure Review for 2011
Revised Proposed Amendments to National Instrument 54-101 – Communication with Beneficial Owners of Securities of a Reporting Issuer
Recent IFRS Disclosure Guidance From the Ontario Securities Commission
Learn the Concepts Underlying Due Diligence and the Steps in the Process
CSA Provides Guidance on Corporate Governance Disclosure
OSC Invites Input from Public Companies and others on Shareholder Democracy Proposals
McCarthy Tétrault Clients Infrastructure Ontario and Bridgepoint Health Award Contract for New Bridgepoint Hospital
Transactions & Cases
AccorHotels acquires three iconic hotel brands - Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel
Leon's completes C$700 million acquisition of The Brick
Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings completes US$654.9 million acquisition of Qualicaps
Corby Distilleries completes C$7.3 million sale of Canadian rights to Seagram Coolers to Brick Brewing
BIOX Coporation announces completion of C$47.6 million amalgamation with JJR IV Acquisition Inc.
Canadian Tire Bank completes C$162 million sale of mortgage portfolio to National Bank of Canada
Bridgepoint Health Redevelopment project reaches financial close
First Quantum Minerals completes C$345 million overnight marketed public offering
Chr. Hansen completes acquisition of Urex Biotech
InStorage Real Estate Investment Trust acquires InScotia Developments Limited Partnership