Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 2002
Jill Yates is an experienced commercial litigator with particular expertise in the areas of class actions, products liability, financial services litigation and general commercial litigation. She brings a blend of procedural and subject-matter expertise, strategic thinking and practical problem-solving to her files. Jill is the Chair of the National Class Actions Group, and the Practice Lead of the Vancouver Litigation group.
Jill is a member of the firm’s National Class Action group, its Financial Services Litigation group and its Consumer and Retail group. She has defended clients from a variety of industries in numerous complex class action lawsuits, including in relation to breach of contract, economic torts and restitution, price-fixing, product liability and privacy. She has also represented financial institution clients in a variety of matters including in relation to mortgage terms, de-marketing and fraud, and has defended clients in consumer litigation matters, including in relation to the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act. She also has extensive commercial litigation experience, prosecuting and defending clients in a variety of disputes.
Jill’s representative experience includes:
- defending a large financial institution in a class action regarding billions of dollars in credit card fees;
- defending a large financial institution in a class action regarding Balance Protection Insurance
- defending clients in a variety of industries in product liability class actions;
- defending price fixing class actions for several different global producers of food and technological products;
- defending a large multi-national technology company in a class action based on privacy and geo-location issues filed against the manufacturer of a major hand-held device;
- defending a large financial institution in a class action and related proceedings regarding an alleged Ponzi scheme;
- defending a drug producer against a class action regarding consumer protection claims; and
- defending various financial institutions on class actions regarding various fees charged to customers.
- representing government bodies in a significant dispute regarding an outsourcing contract;
- representing both vendors and purchasers in a variety of contractual disputes;
- representing a major developer in a significant dispute over closing terms to a win at trial and on appeal; and
- representing developers in a variety of other disputes including in relation to contracts, closing terms and the Strata Property Act.
FINANCIAL SERVICES LITIGATION
- defending financial institutions in relation to various class actions (see above);
- defending a financial institution and its board members in relation to allegations of conspiracy and fraud;
- defending a financial institution in relation to an alleged Ponzi scheme;
- defending a financial institution in relation to allegations of defamation; and
- defending a financial institution in relation to de-marketing clients.
Jill is ranked in the current editions of Chambers Global and Chambers Canada as one of the top Up and Coming lawyers in Canada in the area of Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence). Jill appears in the current edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the area of class actions. She was recognized by Best Lawyers as the 2017 Class Action Litigation “Lawyer of the Year” in Vancouver and is also listed in their current Best Lawyers in Canada directory in the areas of corporate and commercial litigation and class action litigation. She is listed in the current edition of Benchmark Canada, The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms & Attorneys, as a Litigation Star in the areas of class action and product liability. She is also recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of product liability defence in Who’s Who Legal: Canada.
Jill is the editor of the fourth edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada, published by LexisNexis, and was a co-editor and contributing author to the previous editions. She is a frequent presenter on class actions and other litigation topics at Canadian Bar Association events and other conferences.
Jill received her BSc (Biological Sciences) from the University of Lethbridge in 1998, where she received the Gold Medal and the Governor General's medal. Jill received her LLB from the University of British Columbia in 2001. After graduating from law school, Jill clerked for the Chief Justice of the British Columbia Court of Appeal. She was called to the bar of British Columbia in 2002 and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Vancouver Bar Association. She is the Chair of the Consumer Litigation Committee of the International Bar Association, and is the past chair of the Class Actions Section of the Canadian Bar Association, British Columbia.
Reasons in Commissioner of Competition v. Visa
Western Canadian Class Actions Conference 2013
Evidentiary Standards for Certification: Should There Be a Higher Threshold?
Hot Topics in Class Actions
Top Ten Cases of 2011
Not Always Mandatory: in Seidel v. TELUS Communications, the Supreme Court of Canada Allows Exceptions to a Mandatory Arbitration Agreement
Arbitration in B.C., Even in the Face of a Class Action
Internal Investigation Seminar — Vancouver
2008 Labour & Employment Client Conference — British Columbia
Civil Litigation in British Columbia: a Primer
McCarthy Tétrault announces the fourth edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada: A Guide for Defendants
McCarthy Tétrault Authors Cross-Border Class Actions Chapter in ABA’s Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2015
McCarthy Tétrault Authors Cross-Border Class Actions Chapter in ABA’s Recent Developments in Business and Corporate Litigation, 2014
McCarthy Tétrault Names Mentoring Award Winners
McCarthy Tétrault Welcomes 14 New Income Partners
Transactions & Cases