Lawyer Profile Detail
Philippe Fortier is a partner in our Business Law Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate finance, and general corporate and commercial transactions. Philippe acts for both public and private clients. He has lead and participated in various types of transactions and has extensive experience in the purchase and sale of companies and joint ventures.
Philippe is listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Mid-Market, Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions, Mining, as well as Energy. In this regards, he is recognized as such in Lexpert special edition Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers (November 2014). He was also designated in 2014 as one of the Lexpert® Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Philippe received his LLB from the Université Laval in 2000. He articled at the firm and was called to the Québec bar in 2002.
Philippe plays a leading role with various important and key clients of the firm. Recent select experience includes:
- Enbridge in connection with various corporate transactions, acquisitions and joint ventures, including its recent 2016 acquisition in France from EDF EN of a 50% interest in Éolien Maritime France SAS and related joint venture arrangements pursuant to which Enbridge and EDF EN will co-develop one of the largest offshore wind portfolio consisting of three projects off the coast of France with a combined installed capacity of 1, 425 MWs.
- Enbridge in connection with its acquisitions of numerous wind projects from EDF EN Canada, including Blackspring Ridge and Lac Alfred.
- Molson Coors Brewing Company in connection with various transactions, corporate and public company matters, including in connection with its most recently announced 12 billion acquisition of the remaining joint venture interest in the MillerCoors joint venture and rights to the Miller brands, various debt and equity financings, the sale of its interest in the Montreal Canadians to the Molson family and the sale of its interest in the Modelo joint venture in Canada;
- Various initial public offerings, including acting for the issuer on the Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. IPO, the Innergex Power Income Fund IPO and the Colabor IPO and acting for the dealers on the Davids Tea IPO, the Enerkem proposed IPO and the Mecachrome IPO.
- Kruger Inc. in connection with various transactions and ongoing matters, including Investissement Québec’s $190 million investment ($84 million and $106 million equity participation) to convert the No 10 newsprint machine in Trois-Rivières to manufacture 100% recycled lightweight liner board. The investment was made in a new entity which combined the assets of Kruger’s Container board and packaging activities with assets in excess of $600 million;
- Renewable Energy Developer in connection with numerous acquisitions, joint ventures, dispositions and related financing matters and public offerings and ongoing public company matters
- Various complex local and cross border reorganisations for clients
- Various local and international companies in connection with ongoing corporate and commercial matters
Transactions & Cases
Champion announces Closing of Financing Arrangements for approximately C$300 Million
Telecon closes a C$70M Equity Financing with Clearspring Capital Partners
Enbridge Inc. completes C$37B acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp
Molson Coors Completes Acquisition of Full Ownership of MillerCoors and Global Miller Brand Portfolio
Québec Iron Ore Inc. and Champion Iron Mines Limited purchase the Bloom Lake Mine and related rail and mining assets from Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
Enbridge Inc. Transfers Canadian Liquid Pipelines Business and Renewable Energy Assets to Enbridge Income Fund for C$30.4 billion
Lafarge completes US$700 million sale of its North American Gypsum assets to Lone Star Funds affiliate
Bombardier Recreational Products completes C$262.3 million initial public offering
EDF EN Canada and Enbridge acquire 300 MW Blackspring Ridge wind project
Innergex completes a C$50 million preferred share offering