Lawyer Profile Detail
+44 (0)20 7786 5729
Université de Montréal
Karl Tabbakh is the Regional Managing Partner for Québec. A professional with deep business acumen, extensive global experience, and exceptional relationship-building skills, Karl is committed to delivering business solutions and results for clients.
As a corporate lawyer and strategic advisor focused on private equity, mergers and acquisitions, securities and capital markets, Karl led and participated in the negotiation and structuring of some of the most high profile and strategically critical transactions in Canada, the Middle East and globally.
With over 20 years of experience structuring, negotiating, executing and closing critical business transactions in Québec and around the world, Karl uses his deep knowledge of transactions and global experience to ensure clients are well-served and equipped with an understanding of both legal and business implications during major decisions. Karl is often brought in at the outset of transactions by the senior management of both strategic acquirers and financial sponsors to assist in the initial structuring and strategy around transactions and capital deployment.
In addition to his legal expertise, Karl brings a unique investor and business experience to our clients. In 2012, he co-founded a venture capital and private equity firm in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Prior to that, Karl was a partner within the world’s largest law firm which he joined in 2008 to start up their Abu Dhabi office and head its corporate practice.
Karl spent seven years in the Middle East and was Chairman of the Canadian Business Council in Abu Dhabi where he developed strong understanding of the Middle East markets and solid connections in the UAE business community. Previous to that, he was a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Business Law Group, where he had started his career in 1995. He worked in the Montréal, Toronto and London, UK offices until 2008 and, upon his return to Canada in 2016, he rejoined the firm.
Karl acts as a director on the boards of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and the National Circus School.
He received his LLB from Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, in 1997 after completing his BCL at the Université de Montreal in 1996. He also obtained a B.Comm. from Université Laval in Québec City.
He speaks French, English and Arabic.
Karl’s relevant experience includes advising:
- Quebec-based Hewitt Equipments in connection with the $1.1 billion sale of its business to TSX listed Toromont Industries.
- a Middle East-based sovereign wealth fund in connection with several Canadian investments and acquisitions.
- Clearspring Capital Partners in connection with its investment in Telecon Inc. leading a $70 million equity financing in Telecon Inc.
- Eddyfi Technologies in connection with its growth strategy, including the acquisitions of UK based TSC Inspection Systems, a leader in the field of electromagnetic testing technologies and subsequent acquisition of the Teletest Products business and technology from Plant Integrity Ltd. A wholly-owned subsidiary UK based The Welding Institute.
- Rio Tinto plc in connection with its US$38.1 billion recommended take-over bid of Alcan Inc. This was the largest take-over to close in Canadian history.
- US-based Mesirow Financial in connection with a strategic joint venture with sovereign wealth fund Mubadala to create a regional investment advisory company with global capabilities to focus on currency and commodity risk management.
- US-based Advanced Micro Devices Inc. in connection with the $5.5 billion take-over of ATI Technologies Inc.
- CP Ships Limited, a major container shipping company listed on TSX and NYSE, in connection with the $2 billion takeover bid by TUI AG;
- Molson Inc., a major Canadian brewery listed on the TSX, in connection with its merger of equals with Coors Brewing Company evaluated at approximately $6 billion.
Transactions & Cases
Toromont buys Hewitt Group for C$1.1B
Telecon closes a C$70M Equity Financing with Clearspring Capital Partners
Rio Tinto acquires Alcan to form new global aluminium industry leader
Homburg Invest completes C$218.5 million subscription receipts offering
Cascades Inc. acquires Domtar Inc.'s 50% stake in Norampac Inc. for $560 million
Advanced Micro Devices Inc. acquires ATI Technologies Inc.
TUI AG acquires CP Ships
Molson Inc. and Adolph Coors Co. (Coors) merge