Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 2002
David Crane is a partner in the Vancouver office practising in the Business Law Group and Technology & Licensing Industry Group. His practice focuses primarily on technology or technology company-related mergers and acquisitions, financings, business formation, strategic alliances and complex commercial transactions, including outsourcings, telecom services agreements, and IT procurement, implementation and licensing.He also advises clients in a broad range of sectors on strategies and issues relating to technology commercialization, intellectual property, e-commerce, data privacy, anti-spam, and social media.
David's recent experience includes:
- acting for multiple Canadian banks with respect to a multi-billion dollar financial processing services outsourcing;
- acting for multiple public sector entities with respect to the replacement of shared IT systems and the outsourcing of application management services;
- acting for multiple public sector entities with respect to a $1 billion telecommunications services agreement;
- acting for a Canadian bank with respect to $1.25 billion telecommunications services agreement;
- acting for various customers with respect to the negotiation of numerous complex IT-related services agreements, including for cloud, systems integration and application management services;
- acting for various companies and investors with respect to private equity financings; and
- acting on the purchase and sale of numerous private businesses.
Earlier in his career, David practiced as in-house counsel for a TSX-listed international technology product development company.
David is a frequent speaker at industry and legal conferences, and authors publications on numerous topics, including letters of intent, shareholder agreements, commercial drafting, outsourcing, cloud computing, anti-spam law, cybersecurity and start-up issues.
David received a B.Comm. (Honours with Distinction) from the University of Manitoba in 1997 and his LLB from the University of British Columbia in 2001. He was called to the British Columbia bar in 2002.
McCarthy Tétrault publishes comprehensive guide to help organizations prepare for Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation
Transactions & Cases