Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Dominic Thérien is a partner in our Competition Law Group and our Foreign Investment Law Group in Montréal. Mr. Thérien advises Canadian and international clients on all aspects of Canadian competition law, including mergers, cartel and bid-rigging investigations, abuse of dominance, advertising and marketing practices, and other reviewable matters. He also advises on foreign investment merger review and national security issues arising under the Investment Canada Act.
From 2011 to 2013, Mr. Thérien acted as Assistant Deputy Commissioner for the Quebec and Atlantic regions with the Canadian Competition Bureau. In his role, he was responsible for criminal cartel and bid-rigging investigations. He also oversaw investigations with respect to advertising and marketing practices. In addition, Mr. Thérien assisted the Commissioner of Competition in various policy initiatives in respect of the enforcement of the Competition Act.
Mr Thérien appears as a leading competition lawyer in the last edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Who’s Who Legal – Canada and Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Competition & Antitrust Lawyers. He also appears on Who’s Who Legal : Competition – Future Leaders’ first listing.
Mr. Thérien has been involved in a number of major transactions requiring clearance under the Competition Act, including multinational transactions subject to review in multiple jurisdictions. Some significant matters in which Mr. Thérien has been involved include:
- International Paper’s acquisition of Weyerhaeuser's Pulp Business;
- Molson Coors’ acquisition of the Miller brand portfolio;
- Viterra’s acquisition of the largest oilseed-processing plant in eastern Canada from Malaysia’s Felda Global Ventures Holdings;
- Lafarge’s merger with Holcim;
- Glencore’s acquisition of Caracal Energy;
- Acquisition of Groupe BMR by La Coop fédérée;
- OneSteel Limited’s acquisition of the Moly-Cop and AltaSteel businesses from Anglo American plc;
- Bemis Company’s acquisition of Rio Tinto’s Food Packaging America;
- Amcor’s acquisition of Rio Tinto’s Global Pharmaceuticals, Global Tobacco, Food Packaging Europe and Food Packaging Asia businesses; and
- Suncor merger with Petro-Canada (counsel for the Commissioner of Competition).
Mr. Thérien also represents companies that are the subject of criminal and civil investigation by the Commissioner of Competition. He has solid experience with national and international criminal cartel and bid-rigging investigations. Mr. Thérien has acted in a number of investigations related to alleged cartel activities with respect to products such as carbonless sheets, DRAM, airline cargo services, retail gasoline, construction and consulting engineering services.
Mr. Thérien is a former member of the Editorial Board of the Canadian Competition Law Review. He has authored several articles and papers relating to competition law, including:
- "JurisClasseur Québec – Droit de la consommation et de la concurrence" (co-author);
- "La Loi sur la concurrence" (in collaboration with Madeleine Renaud), Québec Bar CLE Conference, 2013;
- "La Loi sur la concurrence" (in collaboration with Madeleine Renaud), CCH conference on construction law, 2011;
- "Handbook on Multijurisdictional Competition Law Investigations" (in collaboration with Madeleine Renaud), online treatise, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, 2010; and
- "Tout ce que vous devez savoir sur la nouvelle Loi sur la concurrence", Canadian Bar Association – Québec Branch, 2010.
Mr. Thérien received his Bachelor of Civil Law and Bachelor of Common Law degrees with honours from McGill University in 2000. He also holds a BA in Political Science from the Université de Montréal. Mr. Thérien was called to the Québec bar in 2001. He is currently vice-chair of the Canadian Bar Association Competition Law Section's International Committee and a member of the American Bar Association Antitrust Law Section.
Competition Bureau Releases Big Data White Paper for Public Comment
Important Proposed Modification to Québec Public Procurement Rules
Commissioner Successful in Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) Abuse Case
Canadian Competition and Foreign Investment Law: The 2015 Year in Review
Canadian Competition Bureau Releases Significant Updates to its IP Enforcement Guidelines
Public contracts: Quebec Government published the draft Voluntary Reimbursement Program
5 Things All Companies Need to Know About the Competition Bureau’s updated Corporate Compliance Programs Bulletin
Competition Bureau Issues Draft Updated IP Enforcement Guidelines Addressing Pharma Patent Litigation Settlements, Standard Setting and Patent Trolls
Public contracts and Bill 26: recovery of amounts improperly paid and changes to the AMF authorization regime
The 2014 Canadian Competition and Foreign Investment Law Year in Review
Transactions & Cases
Glencore plc sells its interests in the Rosh Pinah mine in Namibia and the Perkoa mine in Burkina Faso
Telecon closes a C$70M Equity Financing with Clearspring Capital Partners
Great West Life, London Life and Investors Real Property Fund purchase iconic property in Montréal from KanAm Grund Group
Spartan Energy Corp. acquires C$700M of assets from ARC Resources Ltd.
International Paper Completes US$2.2B Acquisition of Weyerhaeuser's Pulp Business
Molson Coors Completes Acquisition of Full Ownership of MillerCoors and Global Miller Brand Portfolio
Québec Iron Ore Inc. and Champion Iron Mines Limited purchase the Bloom Lake Mine and related rail and mining assets from Cliffs Natural Resources Inc.
Invenergy Completes C$2B Sale of 832 MW of Wind Power to TerraForm Power
Viterra acquires TRT-ETGO
Réseau Sélection JV acquires three properties in the Greater Montréal Area