Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Dominic Thérien is a partner in our Competition Law Group in Montréal. Mr. Thérien advises Canadian and international clients on all aspects of Canadian competition law, including mergers, cartel and bid-rigging investigations, abuse of dominance, advertising and marketing practices, and other reviewable matters.
Mr. Thérien recently acted for two years as Assistant Deputy Commissioner for the Quebec and Atlantic regions with the Canadian Competition Bureau. In his role, he was responsible for criminal cartel and bid-rigging investigations. He also oversaw investigations with respect to advertising and marketing practices. In addition, Mr. Thérien assisted the Commissioner of Competition in various policy initiatives in respect of the enforcement of the Competition Act.
Mr Thérien is listed in the last edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer "repeatedly recommended" in the area of competition law.
Mr. Thérien has been involved in a number of major transactions requiring clearance under the Competition Act, including multinational transactions subject to review in multiple jurisdictions. Some significant matters in which Mr. Thérien has been involved include:
- Glencore's acquisition of Caracal Energy;
- Acquisition of a minority interest in Groupe BMR by La Coop fédérée;
- OneSteel Limited’s acquisition of the Moly-Cop and AltaSteel businesses from Anglo American plc;
- Bemis Company’s acquisition of Rio Tinto’s Food Packaging America;
- Amcor’s acquisition of Rio Tinto’s Global Pharmaceuticals, Global Tobacco, Food Packaging Europe and Food Packaging Asia businesses;
- Suncor merger with Petro-Canada (counsel for the Commissioner of Competition);
- Dow Chemical's acquisition of Rohm and Haas;
- Rexel SA’s and Sonepar SA’s acquisition of Hagemeyer NV;
- Abitibi-Consolidated Inc.’s merger with Bowater Incorporated;
- L’Oréal’s acquisition of The Body Shop;
- Alcan’s acquisition of Pechiney;
- Sanofi-Synthélabo’s acquisition of Aventis SA; and
- Astral Media’s acquisition of Télémédia Radio and related litigation.
Mr. Thérien also represents firms that are the subject of criminal and civil investigation by the Commissioner of Competition. He has solid experience with national and international criminal cartel and bid-rigging investigations. Mr. Thérien has acted in a number of investigations related to alleged cartel activities with respect to products such as carbonless sheets, DRAM, airline cargo services and retail gasoline.
Mr. Thérien is a member of the Editorial Board of the Canadian Competition Law Review. He has co-authored several articles and papers relating to competition law, including:
- "La Loi sur la concurrence" (in collaboration with Madeleine Renaud), Québec Bar CLE Conference, 2013;
- "La Loi sur la concurrence", CCH conference on construction law, 2011;
- "Handbook on Multijurisdictional Competition Law Investigations" (in collaboration with Madeleine Renaud), online treatise, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, 2010;
- "Tout ce que vous devez savoir sur la nouvelle Loi sur la concurrence", Canadian Bar Association – Québec Branch, 2010;
- "Certains aspects de la mise en application de la Loi sur la concurrence" (in collaboration with Yves Bériault), Institut Canadien, Montréal, 2005;
- "Les modifications au droit de la concurrence canadien: le contexte" (in collaboration with Yves Bériault), Insight Canada, Montréal, 2004; and
- "Droit de la concurrence et propriété intellectuelle: antinomie ou complémentarité?" (in collaboration with Madeleine Renaud), Québec Bar CLE Conference, 2003.
Mr. Thérien received his Bachelor of Civil Law and Bachelor of Common Law degrees with honours from McGill University in 2000. He also holds a BA in Political Science from the Université de Montréal. Mr. Thérien was called to the Québec bar in 2001. He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the American Bar Association Antitrust Law Section.
Important Proposed Modification to Québec Public Procurement Rules
Commissioner Successful in Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) Abuse Case
Canadian Competition and Foreign Investment Law: The 2015 Year in Review
Canadian Competition Bureau Releases Significant Updates to its IP Enforcement Guidelines
Public contracts: Quebec Government published the draft Voluntary Reimbursement Program
5 Things All Companies Need to Know About the Competition Bureau’s updated Corporate Compliance Programs Bulletin
Competition Bureau Issues Draft Updated IP Enforcement Guidelines Addressing Pharma Patent Litigation Settlements, Standard Setting and Patent Trolls
Public contracts and Bill 26: recovery of amounts improperly paid and changes to the AMF authorization regime
The 2014 Canadian Competition and Foreign Investment Law Year in Review
Supreme Court of Canada Issues Landmark Merger and Efficiencies Decision
Transactions & Cases
Great West Life, London Life and Investors Real Property Fund purchase iconic property in Montréal from KanAm Grund Group
Spartan Energy Corp. acquires C$700M of assets from ARC Resources Ltd.
International Paper Completes US$2.2B Acquisition of Weyerhaeuser's Pulp Business
Molson Coors Completes Acquisition of Full Ownership of MillerCoors and Global Miller Brand Portfolio
Invenergy Completes C$2B Sale of 832 MW of Wind Power to TerraForm Power
Réseau Sélection JV acquires three properties in the Greater Montréal Area
Glencore acquires Caracal for C$1.48 billion
La Coop fédérée, Investissement Québec and Indian Farmers Fertiliser Cooperative to invest C$1.2 billion in IFFCO Canada
General Mills completes US$1.2 billion acquisition of Yoplait
bcIMC and PSP Investments complete acquisition of TimberWest Forest