Lawyer Profile Detail
Wendi A. Locke
University of Windsor
Wendi Locke is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. She advises on a broad range of corporate and securities law matters, including corporate governance and compliance issues, and focuses on providing practical, results oriented solutions to clients on a cost-efficient basis.
Wendi regularly acts on both public and private offerings of equity and debt securities in Canada, with an emphasis on initial public offerings, medium term note programs and the issuance of capital securities by financial institutions. She frequently acts on behalf of Canadian issuers in connection with cross border securities offerings into jurisdictions such as the United States, United Kingdom and Australia.
Wendi represents both national and international clients in various industries, with a particular focus on the financial services, real estate and technology sectors. Her recent transactional experience includes acting for:
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank in connection with eight public offerings of non-viability contingent capital preferred shares and four public offerings of non-viability contingent capital subordinated medium term notes;
- Slate Office REIT in connection with its $50 million public offering of units and $80 million public offering of subscription receipts;
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank in connection with the establishment of its US$20 billion US Commercial Paper Programme and renewal of its US$20 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme;
- The dealers in connection with the initial public offering of Starlight U.S. Multi-Family (No. 5) Core Fund;
- Timbercreek Mortgage Investment Corporation in connection with its amalgamation with Timbercreek Senior Mortgage Investment Corporation by way of plan of arrangement;
- Timbercreek Financial Corp. in connection with its public offering of $46 million aggregate principal amount of convertible unsecured subordinated debentures;
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce in connection with the renewal of its US$20 billion Euro Medium Term Note Programme;
- Constellation Software Inc. in connection with its rights offering to purchase up to $200 million of unsecured subordinated debentures;
- Slate Retail REIT in connection with its $50 million public offering of units;
- The underwriters in connection with the $90 million US cross-border public offering of common shares by Mitel Networks Corporation;
- The Toronto-Dominion Bank in connection with the establishment of its US$20 billion US Senior Medium Term Note Program;
- The underwriters in connection with the $300 million public offering of subscription receipts by EnerCare Inc.;
- The underwriters in connection with the $150 million public offering of common shares and $75 million public offering of extendible convertible unsecured subordinated debentures of Northland Power Inc.
Wendi is the 2017 Lexology Client Choice Award winner for Capital Markets, Ontario. Wendi also appears in the current edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of corporate finance and securities.
Wendi is also an instructor for the Chartered Director Program offered by The Directors College and teaches the advanced securities law programs offered by the University of Western Ontario and University of Windsor law schools.
Wendi received her BA (Public Administration) from the University of Western Ontario in 1995, her B.Comm. (Hons.) from the University of Windsor in 1997 and her combined MBA/LLB from the University of Windsor in 2000. She was called to the Ontario bar in 2002.
Amendments to TSX Company Manual Regarding Closed-end Funds, Exchange Traded Products and Structured Products
Proposed Amendments to TSX Company Manual Regarding Closed-end Funds, Exchange Traded Products and Structured Products
Canadian Securities Administrators Propose Significant Amendments to Rights Offering Regime
Rules Requiring Disclosure of Participation of Women on Boards and in Senior Management coming into force December 31, 2014
Canadian Securities Administrators Propose Significant Changes to the Prospectus Pre-Marketing and Marketing Regime
Understanding Cross-Border Transactions and U.S. Securities Regulations
Innovative Capital Issuances by Canadian Financial Institutions
A record number of Client Choice Awards for McCarthy Tétrault partners
Transactions & Cases
Pinnacle Renewable Holdings closes C$172.5M initial public offering
TD completes largest issuance of preferred shares by any Canadian bank
FAM Real Estate Investment Trust completes C$23.1 million equity financing
Partners REIT completes C$23 million debenture offering
KEYreit completes C$23 million equity offering
KEYreit completes C$20 million offering of convertible debentures
Canadian 50 Advantaged Preferred Share Fund closes C$47.6 million treasury offering of Class A and Class F Units
U.S. Agency Mortgage-Backed REIT Advantaged Fund completes C$32.7 million initial public offering
Slate US Opportunity (No. 1) Realty Trust completes US$50 million initial public offering
Colabor completes C$35.6 million acquisition of SKOR Food Group