Lawyer Profile Detail
Matthew S. Kelleher
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of Western Ontario
Matthew Kelleher is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. Mr. Kelleher’s practice focuses on private mergers and acquisitions and complex commercial transactions. Mr. Kelleher represents a wide range of industry-leading clients, including banks, private equity firms, pension funds, major corporations and mid-sized businesses.
Mr. Kelleher is committed to leading the successful execution of complex and important transactions with a focus on teamwork, efficiency and excellence. He co-manages the firm’s multi-disciplinary approach to clients pursuing disruptive or transformative change within an industry or organization. He is often involved in high-profile matters that involve political or public relations sensitivities or diverse stakeholder interests.
Mr. Kelleher also co-leads the firm’s Mid-Market M&A Initiative, focused on delivering innovative and cost-effective service to clients undertaking mergers, acquisitions and divestitures in the mid-market (approximately $10 million to $150 million), and is the Ontario lead of the firm’s Agribusiness Industry Group.
Mr. Kelleher is a member of the Board of Directors of the Toronto Host Organization for the 2017 Invictus Games, an international sporting event for wounded, injured and sick military personnel and veterans, a charitable initiative founded by the UK Royal Family and spearheaded by Prince Harry.
A member of the firm’s National Pro Bono Committee, Mr. Kelleher also contributes significant time to pro bono matters. He is also actively involved with the recruitment, mentoring and advancement of law students and associates.
Mr. Kelleher is listed in the current edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading lawyers and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the areas of corporate mid-market. He is also listed in the current edition of Chambers Canada as a leading lawyer in gaming and licensing.
- Advising Kraft Foods Group on its $60 billion merger with H.J. Heinz to form The Kraft Heinz Company
- Advising CIBC on its founding sponsorship arrangement with Metrolinx as the Official Bank of the Union-Pearson rail link
- Advising CIBC on the renewal of its affinity program with Aeroplan and the partial credit card portfolio sale to TD Bank
- Advising Kraft Foods on the global separation of its grocery and snacks businesses
- Advising OMERS Private Equity and Berkshire Partners on the $2.1 billion acquisition of Husky Injection Molding Systems
- Advising CIBC on the $2.0 billion acquisition of Citibank's Canadian MasterCard business
- Advising Mondelēz International on the sale of its four milling business
- Advising Kraft Foods on the integration of the Cadbury business
- Advising Berkshire Partners on several acquisition transactions
- Advising Bank of Nova Scotia on the acquisition of a major commercial leasing business
- Advising the Lafarge Group in connection with several strategic acquisitions and divestitures
- Advising Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation on the modernization of its casino gaming businesses
- Advising Oxford Properties on the acquisition of the Metro Toronto Convention Centre complex
- Advising Siemens Canada on various acquisitions, divestitures and reorganizations
- Advising founder shareholders in connection with the sale of a robotics automation business
- Advising six Canadian universities in connection with bond financing transactions
- Advising SickKids Hospital Foundation in connection with a financing transaction in support of a world-class research centre
- Canadian M&A Activity – Recent Insights and Trends (co-author, Canadian M&A Perspectives, August 2015)
- An Introductions to Canadian Securities Regulation (co-author, CCH Ultimate Corporate Counsel Guide)
- Eight Things To Do Before Selling Your Business (Canadian M&A Perspectives, September 2011)
- A Challenging Economy Increases Scrutiny of Continuous Disclosure (co-author, Lexology, February 27, 2009)
- Not For Profit Law – Four Things That Every Not-for-Profit Director Should Know (Volume 2, Issue 1 McCarthy Tétrault Co-Counsel: Business Law Quarterly)
Mr. Kelleher received a BA in 1997 and an LLB in 2000, both from Western University. He was called to the Ontario bar in 2002.
Transactions & Cases
H.J. Heinz Company and Kraft Foods Group merge to form The Kraft Heinz Company
CIBC completes C$3.3 billion sale of 50% of its Aerogold VISA portfolio to TD Bank
AFA Forest Products completes C$4 million asset sale to Vizusolution
Kraft Canada completes US$76.2 billion separation into a North American grocery business and global snack business, Mondelez International
Oxford Properties completes C$237.4 million acquisition of Metro Toronto Convention Centre Complex
Berkshire Partners and OMERS Private Equity completes acquisition of Husky International
Petrobank and Petrominerales complete spinout of Petrominerales Holdings by Petrobank
Australian Banc Capital Securities Trust completes initial public offering
CIBC completes C$2 billion acquisition of credit card portfolio from Citigroup's Canadian MasterCard business
Blue Circle Home Products International completes C$48.4 million sale of Pre-Con shares