Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Pierre Boivin is a partner in our Business Law Group and is the National Leader of the Africa Initiative of the firm and Mining Group Leader for the Québec Region. His practice is broadly based, with a focus on the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity and related commercial matters, and the planning and negotiation of business transactions, particularly the natural resource sector.
The following are only a few examples of matters handled by Pierre:
- Counsel for Teranga Gold in the acquisition of Gryphon Minerals Limited, a company working in the mining sector in Burkina Faso;
- Counsel for Windiga Energy Inc., a company in the renewable energy sector in Africa;
- Counsel for RoxGold Inc. regarding a gold mine project in Burkina Faso;
- Counsel for Teranga Gold in a negotiation of an overall agreement with the Government of Senegal;
- Counsel for Managem, a Moroccan company involved in the mining sector, on different projects in Africa;
- Counsel for several clients who are conducting oil and gas exploration activities in the Province of Québec, as well as counsel to the Québec Oil and Gas Association;
- Counsel for International Iron Beneficiation Group, a subsidiary of Severstal OAO, a Russian integrated steel and mining company, with regard to a major iron making project in the Sept-Iles region;
- Counsel for several clients involved in the mining industry including SOQUEM Inc., a subsidiary of the Investissement Québec, which operates in the mining sector, including in the implementation of joint ventures;
- Counsel for Gaz Métropolitain Inc., principal distributor of natural gas in the Province of Québec, in the implementation of a $1-billion LNG receiving terminal project in Lévis, in partnership with Enbridge Inc. and Gaz de France within the Rabaska Partnership;
- Counsel for ABB Inc., including with regard to business acquisitions.
Mr. Boivin is a member of various associations: the Canadian Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the International Bar Association, the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen, the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada and the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
He has appeared repeatedly over the years in the Best Lawyers in Canada directory as a leading lawyer in the area of Energy Regulatory Law as well as in the last edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leader in the areas of corporate mid-market, energy (Electricity and Oil & Gas), and mining. He is also recognized as a leading lawyer in the Lexpert’s current special editions of Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining and Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers. He also acted as Managing Partner of the Québec City office for several years.
Pierre has given lectures in the fields of mining and oil and gas, as well as on anti-corruption legislation. He is the co-leader of the Africa District of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Longitude Pipeline Association and Vice-Chairman of the Canadian Council on Africa and the Groupe NSIA, as a nominee of the National Bank of Canada (Ivory Coast).
Transactions & Cases
Junex enters into a C$14M partnership for the development of Galt
Teranga Gold announces agreement to acquire Gryphon Minerals in all share transaction
Managem enters into a joint venture agreement with Avocet Mining PLC regarding development of the Tri-K Gold mine in Guinea
GoviEx Madaouela Project in Niger
Advising Hummingbird Resources PLC on a Mineral Development Agreement signed with Government of Liberia for 4.2Moz Dugbe Gold Project
Colabor Income Fund completes initial public offer