Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
Pierre Boivin is a partner in our Business Law Group. His practice is broadly based, with a focus on the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity and related commercial matters, and the planning and negotiation of business transactions, particularly the natural resource sector.
The following are only a few examples of matters handled by Mr. Boivin:
- Counsel for Teranga Gold in a negotiation of an overall agreement with the Government of Senegal;
- Counsel for Argex Titanium Inc. regarding a construction project of a titanium factory in the province of Québec;
- Counsel for Windiga Energy Inc., a company in the renewable energy sector in Africa;
- Counsel for Managem, a Moroccan company involved in the mining sector, on different projects in Africa;
- Counsel for several clients who are conducting oil and gas exploration activities in the Province of Québec, as well as counsel to the Québec Oil and Gas Association;
- Counsel for International Iron Beneficiation Group, a subsidiary of Severstal OAO, a Russian integrated steel and mining company, with regard to a major iron making project in the Sept-Iles region;
- Counsel for severalclients involved in the mining industry including SOQUEM Inc., a subsidiary of the Investissement Québec, which operates in the mining sector, including in the implementation of joint ventures;
- Counsel for Gaz Métropolitain Inc., principal distributor of natural gas in the Province of Québec, in the implementation of a $1-billion LNG receiving terminal project in Lévis, in partnership with Enbridge Inc. and Gaz de France within the Rabaska Partnership;
- Counsel for ABB Inc., including with regard to business acquisitions.
Mr. Boivin is a member of various associations: the Canadian Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the International Bar Association, the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, the Canadian Association of Petroleum Landmen, the Longitude Pipeline Association, the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada and the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators. He appears in the Best Lawyers in Canada directory as a leading lawyer in the area of Energy Regulatory Law as well as in the last edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leader in the areas of corporate mid-market, energy (Electricity and Oil & Gas), and mining. He is also recognized as a leading lawyer in the Lexpert’s current special editions Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining and Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers (November 2014). He also acted as Managing Partner of the Québec City office for several years.
Mr. Boivin has given lectures in the fields of mining and oil and gas, as well as on anti-corruption legislation. He is the National leader of the Africa Initiative of the firm, co-leader of the Africa District of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Pipeline Longitude 75 Association and of the Canadian Council on Africa.
Transactions & Cases