Lawyer Profile Detail
AREA OF EXPERTISE
University of British Columbia
British Columbia, 1997
Scott Smythe is a Partner in the Real Property and Planning Group in the Vancouver office. His practice is focused on commercial real estate and related corporate matters, with a particular emphasis on commercial leasing. His practice involves extensive work with a number of major real estate investors, developers, landlords and tenants.
His recent experience includes:
- acting for the purchaser of the Canada Post building in downtown Vancouver (the largest single asset property purchase in British Columbia in 2013);
- acting for the developer of an 11-air space parcel development in Richmond (the largest air space parcel development in Richmond history);
- acting for an international retailer on its lease of an entire office building, and subsequent $70 million acquisition of the building;
- acting for a private equity fund on multiple acquisitions and developments in British Columbia and Alberta;
- acting for major developers of master planned, phased, mixed-use, strata and industrial developments in the Lower Mainland;
- acting for the landlord of a large portfolio of office towers and industrial and retail properties;
- acting for the purchaser of the Bentall Centre Complex (valued at $1 billion, making it one of the largest deals by value in BC);
- acting for the vendor of the Morgan Crossing Shopping Centre; and
- acting for the vendor of the Ottawa Marriott Hotel.
Scott is recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada and Chambers Canada in the area of real estate law. He also appears in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a leading lawyer in the areas of property leasing and property development and was identified as a leading infrastructure lawyer in Lexpert’s 2016 Special Edition on Infrastructure. He also presents regularly at real estate industry seminars and conferences.
Scott is the co-author of McCarthy Tétrault’s Annotated British Columbia Strata Property Act, published by Carswell in April 2002 and updated annually. He is the co-author of chapters in each of the Continuing Legal Education Society’s Commercial Leasing - Annotated Precedents, Real Estate Practice Manual and Annual Review of Law and Practice publications. He is also co-editor of Real Estate MATTERS, a periodic publication of the Real Property and Planning Group, and a regular contributor to The Lay of the Land, a national Canadian real estate blog.
Scott joined the firm in 1996. He received a BA (Honours) in 1990 and his LLB from the University of British Columbia in 1995. He was called to the British Columbia bar in 1997 after clerking for the British Columbia Court of Appeal. He is a past Chair of the Real Property Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch) and a member of the Law Society of British Columbia. In 2017, Scott was appointed as a director of the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia.
British Columbia’s Real Estate Development Marketing Act Revisited
Managing Management Fees
Distressing Decision for Landlords
Construction Completion Dates: There and Back Again
13th Commercial Real Estate Leases
Disclosure Obligations: Courts Adopt a Balanced Approach
Responding to the "Halloween Surprise": Using Plans of Arrangement to Convert Income Trusts to Corporations
Real Estate MATTERS (Volume 1, Issue 3)
Terminating the Terminator — Alberta Court of Appeal Declares Landlord’s Right to Terminate Unenforceable
Real Estate MATTERS (Volume 1, Issue 2)
Transactions & Cases
Parkland Fuel acquires Chevron Canada's downstream fuel business for C$1.5B
Innopac Blasting & Shoring completes acquisition of Western Grater Contracting
Schnitzer Steel Industries completes acquisition of metal recycling business from Amix Salvage & Sales
Schnitzer Steel Industries acquires substantially all of the assets of Selkirk Recovery
Madison Pacific Properties purchases Ballard Power Systems' head office for C$20.75 million
Shoppers Drug Mart acquires Northern Drugs Ltd.