Lawyer Profile Detail
Jean Lortie is a partner in our Litigation Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation, including class actions; shareholders’ remedies; corporate and securities litigation; insurance law; professional liability; construction law; product liability; property law and intellectual property law. He was recognized as a leading lawyer in class action litigation and corporate and commercial litigation in the last edition of Best Lawyers in Canada. He also appears in the current edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in corporate commercial litigation.
Mr. Lortie has appeared before a number of courts of first instance and appeals courts, as well as, certain administrative and regulatory boards.
In his practice, Mr. Lortie has acted for businesses in several different industries including the forest and natural resources industries; individual and group assurance; the manufacturing sector; telecommunications; and service and consumer sectors.
The following are only a few examples of matters handled by Mr. Lortie:
- acting for corporate directors in the context of a claim in damages based on negligence, wrongful declarations and wrongful actions;
- acting for insurers in cases concerning "vanishing premiums" and the interpretation of group insurance policies;
- acting for a telecommunications company in consumer law matters relating to its billing;
- acting for an educational institution concerning fee setting and the content of its educational programs;
- acting for a business in a claim by forest industry workers;
- acting for a mutual fund business in a case relating to market timing.
Corporate Law and Securities Law
- acting for shareholders and businesses in oppression cases, both in cases where the client is the plaintiff and in cases where it is the defendant;
- acting for a business in a case concerning its stock-option plan;
- acting for businesses in cases relating to the determination of the fair value of their securities.
- acting for commercial property owners in cases concerning roof collapses and construction defects;
- acting for lenders in a dispute between the operator of a wind farm and the farm’s builder;
- acting for owners, contractors or sub-contractors in cases involving performance bonds.
- acting for a telecommunications business in commercial disputes involving its competitors or distributors;
- acting for a Crown corporation in civil and commercial cases;
- acting for businesses in Anton Piller injunction proceedings concerning copyright royalties or unfair competition;
- acting for businesses before the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux;
- acting for forestry industry businesses in some commercial disputes concerning, among other things, manufacturers’ liability and in cases relating to distribution;
- acting for professionals in cases brought against them concerning civil liability.
Mr. Lortie received a combined bachelor’s degree in civil law and common law (BCL/LLB) from McGill University in 1989. He was called to the Québec bar in 1991.
Transactions & Cases
Shareholder class action against D&Os results in dismissal at the authorization stage confirmed by the Québec Court of Appeal
Novik completes C$45 million sale to Clearview Capital
N. Harris Computer completes acquisition of Sand Technology
Medicago completes C$357 million sale to Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma
Ergoresearch completes acquisition of Victhom Human Bionics
Subsidiary of IHS completes acquisition of Atrion International
Québec Superior Court renders decisions on constitutional case involving Québec's Environment Quality Act