Lawyer Profile Detail
University of British Columbia
University of Oxford
British Columbia, 1995
Hong Kong, 1993
England and Wales, 1992
Joyce Lee* is a partner in the Business Law Group in Vancouver. Her practice focuses on corporate finance and securities laws, take-over bids, mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, commercial, investment and corporate financing transactions. She services public companies, state-owned companies, large privately owned companies, joint ventures, venture capitalists, as well as certain private investors.Her recent experience includes:
- structuring and carrying out domestic and cross border mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations;
- advising on securities regulatory issues for registrants, investment dealers and investment advisors;
- advising on take-over bids (for both targets and offerors);
- advising on public offerings and private placements for issuers in various industries, including mining and resources, technology, real estate development, services and education;
- advising on various investment transactions of foreign companies into Canada, including joint ventures in mining and other natural resources sectors, automobile sector, forestry sector and technology sector;
- advising on investment transactions of Canadian companies into the Greater China region;
- structuring and advising on executive and employee compensation and incentive plans for Canadian and international companies; and
- advising on ongoing private transactions, corporate governance, continuous disclosure issues and proxy contests.
Joyce was born and raised in Hong Kong and is fluent in Cantonese and Mandarin. Her practice includes servicing clients from Asia investing in North America and Canadian clients expanding into Asia. She is the Chair of McCarthy Tétrault’s China Group and a regular speaker at Asia Pacific and China related conferences and seminars.
Joyce received her BA (Hons) (Jurisprudence) in 1989 and her MA in 1996 from Oxford University, England. She was admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1992 and in Hong Kong in 1993. She was called to the British Columbia bar in 1995. She practised in London, England as well as Hong Kong before joining McCarthy Tétrault in its Vancouver office in 1994.
Joyce served as the Legislative Liaison of the Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law section and is ranked in the 2013 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of corporate mid-market.
Joyce is also a member of the Law Society of England and Wales, the Law Society of Hong Kong, the Law Society of British Columbia, the Canadian Bar Association, the Canada-China Business Council and the Hong Kong-Canada Business Association.
*denotes Law Corporation
Industry Canada Says It Will Give Exemptions to CBCA Issuers Wishing to Use Notice-and-Access for Proxy Materials
New Notice-and-Access Process – Streamlined Delivery of Proxy Materials, but Use With Care!
Important Considerations for Canadian Companies Dealing with Chinese Investors
Changes in Canada’s Foreign Investment Laws — What It Means For Chinese Companies Investing In Canada
Transactions & Cases
CGN invests in Fission Uranium Corp
Chihong Canada Mining acquires remaining 50% interest of Selwyn project for C$50 million
Hebei Iron & Steel Group finalizes C$119.9 million investment in Alderon
Timbercreek Senior Mortgage Investment raises C$60.4 million in public offering of shares
WISCO International completes C$40 million joint venture into the Sunny Lake Project with Century Iron Mines
WISCO completes C$20 million joint venture with Century Iron in Attikamagen iron property
CVC Capital Partners completes US$644 million acquisition of Hong Kong Broadband Network and IDD Business
Timbercreek Senior Mortgage Investment Corporation issues C$152.2 million IPO and private placement
Adriana Resources completes C$92 million joint venture agreement with WISCO
East Asia Mineral completes C$11 million spin-out of Barisan as an IPO transaction followed by a rights offering