Profil d'un avocat
CHAMP DE COMPÉTENCE
FACULTÉ DE DROIT
Université de Toronto
ADMISSION AU BARREAU
Cette biographie est disponible en anglais seulement.
Results-oriented and widely recognized for her expertise in competition and foreign investment law, Debbie has the experience clients need to successfully navigate the regulatory landscape.
Deborah (Debbie) Salzberger is a Partner in our Antitrust/Competition & Foreign Investment Group in Toronto. She acts for clients in domestic and multinational mergers and acquisitions with respect to competition/antitrust law and foreign investment review matters. She also regularly provides competition law compliance advice in respect of criminal cartel matters and reviewable practices, including joint ventures, resale pricing, advertising and distribution issues.
Widely recognized in Canada and abroad for her experience working on complex domestic and multijurisdictional transactions, Debbie’s practice is marked by her pragmatic and solutions oriented approach, working with clients to achieve their objectives. Her deep knowledge of the Canadian competition/antitrust and foreign investment regimes is complemented by her understanding of a variety of industries, making her a valued business advisor. Some of the transactions in which she has been involved, include:
- Brand Energy & Infrastructure in its merger with Safway Group Holding LLC
- Bass Pro Shops in its proposed merger with Cabelas
- Foster Wheeler AG on its US$3.2-billion acquisition by AMEC
- Continental AG in its proposed US$1.9-billion acquisition of Veyance Technologies Inc.
- The Brick Ltd. on its sale to Leon's Furniture Limited for C$700-million
Deeply connected to the Competition/Antitrust and Foreign Investment Bar
Debbie actively participates in thought leadership and industry groups, both in Canada and internationally. She is the current vice-chair of the Canadian Bar Association Competition Law Section's Foreign Investment Review Committee and the vice-chair of the American Bar Association’s Compliance and Ethics Committee. Debbie is editor of the "International Price Discrimination" chapter of the ABA Price Discrimination Handbook.
She is a frequent contributor to antitrust conferences and publications, including:
- Co-author: Canada Chapter, The International Comparative Legal Guide to Merger Control, Global Legal Group, (12th, 13th and 14th Edition, 2016, 2017, 2018).
- Speaker: Small Mergers, Big Issues, GCR Live 7th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum, February 3, 2018.
- Speaker: Vertical Mergers – Views across the Border, CBA Competition Law Fall Conference, October 26, 2017.
- Speaker: Merger Due Diligence - Cross Border Compliance Considerations, ABA Section of Antitrust Law - Teleconference, January 27, 2016.
- Co-author: The Seven Sins of E-Discovery: Salvations for Merger Review, Ontario Bar Association, Ontario e-Discovery Institute, 2015.
- Moderator: Attorney Client Privilege - A Multijurisdictional Review of Recent Developments, CBA Competition Law Section's International Committee and Competition Litigation Committee, ABA Section of Antitrust Law - Teleconference, November 23, 2015.
- Speaker: Ontario e-Discovery Institute 2015, OBA Conference, Toronto, Ontario, October 29, 2015.
Awards and Recognition
Debbie has been recognized as a leading competition lawyer in numerous publications, including:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada 2018 (Competition/Antitrust Law)
- Who's Who Legal: Competition - Future Leaders 2017 (Recognized as one of North America's top five most highly recommended)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (Competition/Antitrust Law)
- Euromoney's Women in Business Law
- Legal Media Group's Guide to the World’s Leading Women in Business Law 2014
- Global Competition Review’s 2012 Edition of 40 under 40
Called to the Ontario Bar in 2002, Debbie received her LLB from the University of Toronto in 2000, an MA in International Relations from University of Toronto in 2000 and her BES (Summa Cum Laude, Environmental Studies and Economics) from York University in 1997.
Jason Gudofsky et Debbie Salzberger joignent le groupe national du droit de la concurrence et du droit de l’investissement étranger de McCarthy Tétrault