Profil d'un avocat
CHAMP DE COMPÉTENCE
FACULTÉ DE DROIT
Université de Toronto
ADMISSION AU BARREAU
New York (É.U.), 2004
Cette biographie est disponible en anglais seulement.
Robin Mahood is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver.
Robin advises public and private corporations in a wide range of industries regarding mergers and acquisitions, securities offerings, corporate governance, tax-driven corporate reorganizations and debt restructurings. He has been recognized as a leading lawyer in Canada in the current edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the areas of corporate finance and securities, private equity and corporate mid-market and by Best Lawyers in Canada as "Lawyer of the Year" in the area of mergers & acquisitions law.
Robin's recent M&A experience include advising Canadian, U.S. and international acquirers and targets in respect of domestic and cross-border merger and acquisition transactions and take-over bids in the hospitality, technology, forestry and paper, mining, financial services, construction and medical services industries.
Representative M&A transactions Robin has led or in which he has played a key role include the following:
- Counsel to Mr. Lube Canada Limited Partnership in connection with its $140 million trademark royalty deal with Diversified Royalty Corp.
- Counsel to Sutton Group Realty in connection with its $41 million trademark royalty deal with Diversified Royalty Corp.
- Counsel to the Trustees of Boston Pizza Royalty Income Fund in connection with its $156 million acquisition of an additional 1.5% of franchise revenues from Boston Pizza International Inc.
- Counsel to Franworks Franchise Corp. in connection with its $103 million sale of trademarks and other intellectual property to Diversified Royalty Corp.
- Advised Spectra Energy Corp with respect to a complex corporate reorganization in connection with its $1.49 billion acquisition of the Express-Platte Pipeline System
- Counsel to Seacliff Construction Corp. in connection with its $390 million sale to The Churchill Corporation, including advising the principal shareholders with respect to a complex pre- and post-closing tax reorganization
- Counsel to Seacliff Holdings in connection with its acquisition of a privately-owned Alberta-based manufacturer and its acquisition of a privately-owned Western Canadian power line contractor
- Counsel to BC Biomedical Laboratories in connection with its sale to LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services
- Counsel to Partnerpedia Software, in connection with its sale to BMC Software
- Counsel to a Canadian merchant bank in connection with the management buy-out of its mezzanine finance lending and private equity fund management business
- Counsel to Molycorp Inc. in connection with $1.3 billion acquisition of a Canadian rare earth metals processing company
- Counsel to TimberWest Forest Corp. in connection with its $1 billion sale to British Columbia Investment Management Corporation and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board
- Counsel to Continental Mineral Corporation’s special committee in connection with its $446 million sale to Jinchuan Group Ltd.
Robin's recent financing experience includes advising issuers and underwriters on cross-border, U.S. and domestic public and private offerings of equity and debt, including initial public offerings, bought deal financings and secondary offerings. Representative financing transactions he has led or played a key role in include the following:
- $66 million dollar bought deal prospectus offering of subscription receipts by Interfor Corporation (issuer’s counsel)
- US$600 million bond offering by Methanex Corporation (issuer’s counsel)
- US$46 million IPO by Aquinox Pharmaceuticals (issuer’s Canadian counsel)
- $200 million bond offering by BC Ferries (issuer’s counsel)
- $350 million treasury and secondary offering of common shares by AutoCanada Inc. (underwriters’ counsel)
- $150 million private placement of high-yield debt by AutoCanada Inc. (underwriters’ counsel)
- multiple rounds of venture financing ($60 million aggregate) by a Vancouver-based life sciences company (issuer’s counsel)
- base shelf prospectus and subsequent treasury offerings by iCo Therapeutics (issuer’s counsel)
- $100 million initial public offering by Seacliff Construction (issuer’s counsel)
Robin received his BA from the University of British Columbia in 1997 and his LLB from the University of Toronto in 2002. Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, he clerked for Justice Frank Iacobucci at the Supreme Court of Canada and was an associate with Sullivan & Cromwell LLP, one of New York’s leading international law firms. Robin was called to the New York bar in 2004 and the British Columbia bar in 2006.
Parus sur nos blogues
Élargissement des dispenses de prospectus – Les ACVM et la CVMO décident d’élargir certaines dispenses de prospectus et en ajoutent une autre
L’OCRCVM publie sa note d’orientation définitive sur le contrôle diligent à suivre par les placeurs
Nouvelles règles régissant la commercialisation des appels publics à l’épargne
Industrie Canada va accorder des dispenses aux émetteurs régis par la LCSA qui souhaitent utiliser le mécanisme de notification et d’accès pour les documents reliés aux procurations
Nouvelles procédures de notification et d’accès – Simplification du processus de transmission des documents reliés aux procurations – Prudence toutefois!
Dix avocats de McCarthy Tétrault désignés parmi les avocats de l’année
Transactions et causes
Aritzia réalise un placement de 350.745 M$ CA par voie de prise ferme
Cara acquiert une participation majoritaire dans Original Joe’s pour C$93M
Aritzia réalise un PAPE de 460 M$ CA
Spectra Energy vend ses activités de NGL à Plains Midstream Canada
Les actionnaires de Coalspur approuvent l’acquisition par KC Euroholdings
BC Ferries réunit 200 millions de dollars CA dans le cadre d’un financement par obligations.
Argo Data Resource acquiert Advanced Software Design
Clôture de la vente de Software Partnerpedia Solutions à BMC.
AutoCanada Inc. clôture un placement de nouvelles actions ordinaires et un placement secondaire de 132,3 millions $ CA.
CA Technologies acquiert Layer 7 Technologies.