Profil d'un avocat
Sean F. Collins
CHAMP DE COMPÉTENCE
FACULTÉ DE DROIT
Université de l'Alberta
ADMISSION AU BARREAU
Cette biographie est disponible en anglais seulement.
Sean Collins leads the Bankruptcy & Restructuring and Litigation practices in Calgary. He acts for all types of clients dealing with challenging business circumstances. Such circumstances often provide opportunities and he thus regularly advises issuers, equity sponsors and strategic purchasers, financial institutions, and dip lenders in out of court as well as court-supervised restructurings. He has gained a reputation as a leading advisor to court officers where he brings to bear his 25 plus years of experience as a value-add in guiding stakeholders through contentious insolvency proceedings.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Sean is recognized as one of the leading lawyers in Canada in the following publications:
- Benchmark (Litigation Star, Insolvency) (2017)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring) (2000 - Present)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers in Business (Restructuring/Insolvency) (2004 - Present)
- Chambers Canada (Restructuring/Insolvency) (2016 Inception of Publication - Present)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Insolvency and Financial Restructuring) (2008 - Present)
- Who's Who Legal: Canada (Insolvency and Restructuring) (2010 - Present)
- Lexpert Cross-border Litigation Guide 2013 (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring )
- Lexpert Special Edition on Insolvency & Restructuring 2012
- Law Business Research's The International Who's Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers 2013
Sean is a frequent lecturer to members of the bar and industry associations on bankruptcy and restructuring matters. He is a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada. He has appeared as counsel in restructuring proceedings in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Nova Scotia. Sean was qualified as an expert in corporate restructuring and provided expert testimony in CCAA proceedings before the Commercial Superior Court of Québec. He is the former President of the Northwest Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and current member and former Chair of the Canadian Bar Association’s Southern Alberta Branch’s Insolvency Section.
TRANSACTIONS & CASES
Some recent and historical notable engagements include:
- acting as counsel to the Monitor of Argent Energy Trust in its CCAA / Texas Chapter 15 proceedings;
- acting as counsel to the Monitor of Quicksilver Resources Canada Inc. in concurrent CCAA / Chapter 11 proceedings;
- acting as counsel to the Monitor of Connacher Oil and Gas Limited;
- acting as counsel to the Monitor of Lightstream Resources in concurrent CCAA / Chapter 11 proceedings;
- acting as counsel to the Monitor of OmniArch Capital Corporation;
- acting as counsel to Monitor of Lone Pine Resources in its CCAA cross-border proceedings;
- acting as counsel to Monitor of RS Technologies Inc. in its CCAA restructuring;
- acting as counsel to the Monitor of the Harvest Group of Companies involved in a CCAA restructuring;
- acting as counsel to the receiver and manager in the cross-border restructuring and Chapter 15 proceedings involving Well Point Services;
- acting as counsel to the Monitor of Trident Exploration Corp. in its CCAA and Chapter 15 cross-border proceedings;
- acting as counsel to the Monitor and Receiver-Manager in the proceedings involving the Concrete Equities group of companies;
- acting as counsel to Oilexco Inc. in its CCAA proceedings and UK Administration;
- acting as counsel to Challenger Energy in its CCAA reorganization; and
- acting as counsel to the monitor in the CCAA and Chapter 15 cross-border proceedings of Rockwell Petroleum.
PRESENTATIONS & PUBLICATIONS
- "Dealing with Regulatory Authorities in Restructuring Proceedings" - Canadian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Professionals Annual Conference, 2016.
- "New Trends in Credit Bids" - Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals Annual Conference, 2015.
- "Risk Management in Distressed Construction Projects" - Risk Management Association, 2015.
- Co-Chair Canadian Bar Association Annual Pan Canadian Insolvency Conference, 2013.
- “Emerging Issues in Credit Bids” – Insolvency Institute of Canada, 2011.
- Issues for the Project Lender in Relation to Distressed Real Estate Loans” – Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Branch Mid-Winter Meeting, 2010.
- “Western Commercial Insolvency Update” – Annual Review of Insolvency Law, 2009.
McCarthy Tétrault publie son cinquième guide annuel Mining in the Courts
McCarthy Tétrault reconnu par Lexpert dans le domaine du litige transfrontalier
« Chef de file incontesté » : Le cabinet McCarthy Tétrault se classe parmi les premiers dans l’édition 2004 de Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers
Transactions et causes
Stelco Holdings Inc. conclut une opération de monétisation de ses stocks de 100 M$ US
Shell cède ses intérêts dans l’exploitation des sables bitumineux au Canada
Mosaic Energy Limited conclut la vente de ses actifs pour 327 M$ CA aux termes d’une ordonnance de mise sous séquestre
Lightstream Resources Limited annonce la clôture de la vente d’actifs à Ridgeback Resources Inc.
Sanjel Corporation annonce des opérations stratégiques
Argent Energy Trust entame une procédure de restructuration transfrontalière
Acquisition de la mine de diamant Jericho par Shear Minerals et placement privé simultané.
Vente de créances intersociétés par les débiteurs canadiens de Calpine
Anglo Coal Inc. & Hillsborough Resources Limited forment une nouvelle société en commandite avec NEMI Northern Energy & Mining Inc.
Quicksilver Resources vend une partie de ses actifs canadiens