Profil d'un avocat
Geoff R. Hall
CHAMP DE COMPÉTENCE
Droit de la faillite et de la restructuration
Droit du commerce et de l’investissement international
Litige en droit commercial et en droit des sociétés
Litige en matière de franchise
Protection des renseignements personnels
FACULTÉ DE DROIT
Université de Toronto
ADMISSION AU BARREAU
Cette biographie est disponible en anglais seulement.
Geoff R. Hall is a partner in the Litigation Group based in our Toronto office. Mr. Hall's practice focuses primarily on corporate/commercial litigation, and he also has extensive experience in bankruptcy/restructuring litigation, constitutional and administrative law litigation.
Mr. Hall's recent major engagements include the following:
- Leon's Furniture Limited v. Alberta (Information and Privacy Commissioner), 2011 ABCA 94: counsel in the Alberta Court of Appeal for the successful appellant in a privacy law dispute with the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
- Dynasty Furniture Manufacturing Ltd. v. The Toronto-Dominion Bank, 2010 ONCA 514: counsel in the Ontario Court of Appeal for the successful respondent in a case that narrowly defined the duty of care in tort owed by a bank to non-customers harmed by the activities of a customer
- Re Grant Forest Products Inc., 2010 ONCA 355: counsel in the Ontario Court of Appeal in an insolvency matter involving stakes of $10 million
- 1413910 Ontario Inc. cob Bulls Eye Steakhouse & Grill v. McLennan (2009), 309 D.L.R.(4th) 756 (Ont. Div. Ct.): counsel in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and on appeal in the Ontario Divisional Court for a successful oppression remedy complainant
- Kipfinch Developments Ltd. v. Westwood Mall (Mississauga) Ltd. (2008), 50 B.L.R. (4th) 233 (Ont. S.C.J.), vard. 2010 ONCA 45: counsel at trial in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and on appeal in the Ontario Court of Appeal in a case arising from the aborted sale of a commercial property; damages claimed were $25 million but they were assessed at trial at only $330,000
- TimberWest Forest Corp. v. Canada, 2007 FC 148, affd. 2007 FCA 389: counsel in the Federal Court and the Federal Court of Appeal on a challenge to the legality and constitutionality of the federal government's log export restrictions in British Columbia
- Toole v. Acres Inc.,  O.J. No. 1337 (S.C.J.): counsel at trial in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice to a private corporation in the successful defence of allegations of corporate oppression of a minority shareholder
- International arbitration conducted in Dallas, Texas under Texas law (2006): counsel to a Canadian distributor of audio-visual equipment in a contract dispute with the U.S. manufacturer of the equipment
Mr. Hall is a widely published author and teaches widely in both contract law and trial advocacy:
- Author of Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law (LexisNexis Canada Inc., 2007, and its second edition published in 2012) the leading text on contractual interpretation in Canada. The first edition has been cited by courts over 50 times, including three times by the Supreme Court of Canada
- Currently an Adjunct Professor at the University of Toronto law school teaching an advanced contract law course
- Formerly an Adjunct Professor at Queen's University law school (trial advocacy) and Osgoode Hall Law School (advanced contracts)
- Guest instructor annually at the Osgoode Hall Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Instructor at numerous trial advocacy programs held by the Advocates' Society
- Speaker on contract interpretation at the Canadian Judicial Institute's Civil Law Seminar: Contract Law held in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, May 6, 2009 (the only invited speaker who was neither a judge nor a full-time academic)
- Author of numerous scholarly articles, including:
- "The Unfortunate Gulf in Contract Law Between the Academy and Real-World Practice: A Review of Exploring Contract Law" (2011), 51 Canadian Business Law Journal 158
- "Two Unsettled Questions in the Law of Contractual Interpretation: A Call to the Supreme Court of Canada" (2011), 50 Canadian Business Law Journal 434 (presented at the 40th Annual Workshop on Commercial and Consumer Law, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, October 15, 2010)
- "Asset Backed Commercial Paper and the‘Intention of Parliament' in the Ontario Court of Appeal" (2008), 47 Canadian Business Law Journal 54
- "A Study in Reasonable Expectations" (2007), 45 Canadian Business Law Journal 150 (which was the subject of a panel discussion at the 38th Annual Workshop on Commercial and Consumer Law, University of Manitoba, October 3, 2008)
- Author of numerous other articles
- Speaker at numerous conferences and seminars
Mr. Hall holds a B.A. from McGill University (1987, Gold Medallist in Economics), an M.A. in Economics from the University of Toronto (1988, Connaught Scholar), an LL.B. from the University of Toronto (1991, Silver Medallist), and an LL.M. from Harvard Law School (1996). Mr. Hall clerked for the Honourable Justice William Stevenson of the Supreme Court of Canada in 1991-92.
Parus sur nos blogues
Aboriginal Law: Consultation and Other Emerging Issues
34th Annual Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop
7th Essentials of Commercial Contracts
Summer Civil Trial Advocacy College
5th Essentials of Commercial Contracts
Law of Obligations: Challenging Orthodoxy
Do a Trial! (Civil)
La Cour suprême du Canada juge inconstitutionnel la proposition concernant une loi canadienne intitulée Loi sur les valeurs mobilières
Le critère de l’importance dans les lois sur les valeurs mobilières : les lignes directrices de la Cour suprême du Canada imposent des fardeaux aux demandeurs et aux émetteurs
Train the Trainer
Nouvelle édition de Canadian Contractual Interpretation Law
Transactions et causes
ORBCOMM réalise l’acquisition de SkyWave
Emergent BioSolutions réalise l’acquisition de Cangene pour 222 millions de dollars américains
Léon acquiert The Brick pour 700 millions $ CA.
ShawCor réalise un arrangement pour supprimer sa structure à deux catégories.
Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings réalise l’acquisition de Qualicaps moyennant 654,9 millions de $ US.
Rogers Media acquiert Score Media.
Mondelez International réalise la scission de son entreprise nord-américaine du secteur de l’épicerie
Fiducie d’investissement immobilier Partners acquiert des actifs de NorRock Realty Finance Corporation.
Parametric Technology Corporation fait l’acquisition de MKS Inc.
La réclamation de Leon en vue d’utiliser des renseignements personnels à des fins raisonnables confirmée par la Cour d’appel de l’Alberta.