You need sophisticated tax strategies and structures that support your business objectives to deal with today’s increasingly complex and multijurisdictional tax issues.
McCarthy Tétrault’s Tax Group has the strategic skills, insight and experience to help you achieve your business objectives in a tax-efficient manner.
We have provided expert tax advice in connection with numerous innovative business transactions, including conversion of corporations to income funds, tier-one capital financings by Canadian banks and multinational insurance companies, as well as one of Canada’s most significant government privatization transactions, structured financings, securitizations, and public and private mergers & acquisitions.
Many of our tax lawyers have served on advisory committees with senior government officials or on secondments to the Rulings Directorate of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This experience helps us provide you with important insights into the development of tax policy, legislation and administrative practice. We frequently provide recommendations to the Department of Finance on legislative amendments to Canada’s tax laws.
Through our offices in major business centres across Canada, you profit from our astute national perspective and firm grasp of local and regional affairs.
Our seasoned practitioners provide comprehensive tax services focused in six key areas:
- development of innovative debt, equity and hybrid securities;
- major project financing;
- income and investment funds;
- pooled investment vehicles, including segregated funds and mutual funds; and
- product development for RRSP and pension plan market.
Mergers, Acquisitions and Reorganizations
- takeover bids, private acquisitions and divestitures;
- tax consolidation planning;
- spin-offs; and
- public-private partnerships.
- structuring in-bound investments by non-residents to:
- minimize current taxation by Canada;
- minimize taxation upon exiting the investment;
- structuring out-bound investments by Canadian corporations in foreign projects and business enterprises to maximize benefits from Canada’s foreign affiliate taxation system; and
- tax-efficient cross-border corporate group structures.
- planning for banks, life insurance corporations, mutual funds, pension funds and other financial institutions; and
- development of tier-one capital financings by financial institutions.
- establishment, mergers & acquisitions of royalty trusts;
- flow-through share financings;
- resource property purchase and sale;
- mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations of resource corporations;
- agreements with Aboriginal organizations; and
- advising clients engaged in mining, oil and gas, pipelines, electricity generation, transmission and distribution and energy trading.
- licensing agreements;
- minimization of Canadian withholding taxes; and
For more information, please contact:
CALGARYRobert W. Nearing
→ View profile
→ View profile
→ View profile
→ View profile
Search Expertise by Keyword
Transactions & Cases
Enbridge Inc. completes C$37 billion acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp
Primaris REIT completes C$4.6 billion sale to H&R REIT
Onni Development completes restructuring of Evelyn Drive Project
RIM and other companies complete US$4.5 billion acquisition of Nortel patents
BCE completes C$3.2 billion acquisition of CTV
Porto Energy completes C$70 million initial public offering
Eagle Energy Trust completes initial public offering
Rio Tinto to manage Oyu Tolgoi project under new financial agreement with Ivanhoe Mines
Kimberly-Clark completes acquisition of Baylis Medical Company's worldwide pain management business
Quebecor World emerges from Chapter 11 and CCAA Protection
Tax-Effective Planning for Insurance & Investments
Economic Action Plan 2013 – Closing More Tax Planning Opportunities
Harper’s First Majority Government Budget – Tax Changes Include Targeted Measures to Close Perceived Loopholes
2011 Federal Budget Commentary
Webinar: 2011 Federal Budget — Get the Full Picture
Relief for Non-Residents of Canada on Canadian Property Dispositions
OECD Releases Report on Improving Procedures for Tax Relief for Cross-Border Investors
2010 Federal Budget Commentary
Webinar: 2010 Federal Budget — Get the Full Picture
Successfully Resolving Your Transfer Pricing Disputes — Seminar
In Memory of Thomas B. Akin
McCarthy Tétrault advises on Capital Markets Tax Deal of the Year
McCarthy Tétrault partner Gabrielle Richards elected to lead The Canadian Tax Foundation
McCarthy Tétrault Counsel Doug Ewens Receives Diamond Jubilee Medal
McCarthy Tétrault’s Barbara Boake and Rick Kathuria co-author definitive guide on legal project management
McCarthy Tétrault Expands its Premier Tax and Oil & Gas Practice in Calgary
Chia-yi Chua joins McCarthy Tétrault’s Tax Practice
McCarthy Tétrault wins "Canada Tax Litigation Law Firm of the Year" at the International Tax Review’s Americas Awards
Carswell and McCarthy Tétrault LLP announce partnership to serve Canadian tax professionals
2007 Budget Highlights