To operate in today's highly competitive and regulated financial services industry, you need timely legal advice specialized to your institution's – and your sector's – unique requirements.
Canada’s banks, insurance companies, foreign banks, near banks, finance companies, smaller financial services companies and institutional investors choose McCarthy Tétrault because:
- We’re the experts. We offer more knowledge and experience in this area than any other law firm. We do more things for more financial institutions in Canada than anyone else, hands down. Our Financial Services Group is ranked as a top Canadian practice by leading national and international legal directories.
- We deliver the most value. Our managed law firm structure enables us to match the right skill set at the right level of experience to each client need.
- We provide full service. Whether it is regulatory advice, capital transactions, structured transactions, cross-border credit or derivative products, mergers & acquisitions, financial asset sales and acquisitions, or policy, we deliver.
- We provide seamless multijurisdictional coverage. Through our offices in Canada's major financial centres and London, UK, you access our specialists in every type of law, from tax and technology, to real estate and litigation.
- We’re steeped in this industry. We’ve been there: from incorporating some of the early insurance companies, like Canada Life, to acting as counsel to the issuer or the underwriters in virtually all innovative tier-one offerings by life insurance companies and banks.
Clients value our leadership and in-depth expertise in key service areas:
- Capital management and corporate finance – We understand the nuances of managing regulated capital.
- Secured lending – We excel in all aspects of secured lending and asset-based lending in domestic, cross-border and international markets.
- Regulatory matters – We are at the forefront of financial services policy development and implementation.
- Financing and derivatives – We cover the gamut: leading-edge mezzanine financing and credit enhancement models, as well as sophisticated collateralized debt obligations and derivatives.
- Project finance – We’ve acted in most of the major project finance transactions in Canada in the power, oil & gas, real estate, technology and infrastructure sectors;
- Outsourcing – In this increasingly technology-sensitive sector, we grasp the business models, technology and people issues to expedite large, interjurisdictional technology transactions.
- Insurance and reinsurance – We have unique and invaluable experience working directly in this industry and with insurance regulators.
Our full-spectrum counsel also includes:
- bankruptcy & restructuring;
- domestic and international capital funding programs;
- banking services;
- intellectual property;
- international trade;
- labour and employment;
- personal property security;
- records retention and management; and
- structured finance & securitization.
McCarthy Tétrault is continuously ranked in the top-tier for Banking & Finance in Chambers Canada and Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers, with one client noting that "The firm brings fresh ideas, is business-minded and turns work around effectively and efficiently." The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory also ranks McCarthy Tétrault as “most frequently recommended” for financial services expertise, with several of our legal practitioners acknowledged as leading individuals in the field. In addition, the firm is also repeatedly recognized by Legal 500, IFLR 1000 and Who’s Who Legal.
For more information, please contact:
→ View profile
TORONTOBarry J. Ryan
→ View profile
→ View profile
Search Expertise by Keyword
Transactions & Cases
Lightstream Resources Limited Announces Closing of Asset Sale to Ridgeback Resources Inc.
Great West Life, London Life and Investors Real Property Fund purchase iconic property in Montréal from KanAm Grund Group
National Money Mart settles class action lawsuits
Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. completes C$400 million 3.30% Fixed/Floating Subordinated Debentures Offering
TD completes largest issuance of preferred shares by any Canadian bank
CIBC completes €1.25B negative-yield covered bond offering – a first for any Canadian covered bond issuer
Argent Energy Trust enters cross-border restructuring proceedings
Vancouver Airport Authority Completes $200 Million Debenture Offering and Consent Solicitation
Sun Life Financial Acquires the Bentall Kennedy Group
Canada Pension Plan Investment Board to acquire Antares Capital from GE Capital Corporation for US$12B
Budget 2017: Financial Institutions Update
Anti-Money Laundering Update: FINTRAC Releases Guidance In Respect of Politically Exposed Persons
Key Banking Decisions of 2016: The Supreme Court of Canada releases its decision in Royal Bank of Canada v. Trang
Proposed Consumer Protection Framework for Banks
Department of Finance Canada Launches Consultation Process to Review Proposed Lender Risk Sharing Policy for Government-Backed Insured Mortgages
Department of Finance Canada Launches Consultation Process to Review the Federal Financial Sector Framework
Derivatives Update: CSA Propose Margin and Collateral Requirements for Non-Centrally Cleared Derivatives
OSFI Issues Final Operational Risk Management Guideline
Anti-Money Laundering Update: FINTRAC Releases New Guideline on Identification Requirements for Individuals
Anti-Money Laundering Update: Final Amendments to Regulations to the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act Released
Best Lawyers in Canada honours 16 McCarthy Tétrault lawyers as “Lawyer of the Year”
McCarthy Tétrault tops the Financial Post’s debt and equities Q1 2016 league tables
McCarthy Tétrault advises CDPQ in its investment in Bombardier Transportation’s newly-created BT Holdco
McCarthy Tétrault honoured for innovative programs to develop women lawyers
Amendments to Alberta’s Guarantees Acknowledgment Act
McCarthy Tétrault partners receive Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault recognized in IFLR 1000’s 2015 edition
McCarthy Tétrault welcomes new partner James-Scott Lee
McCarthy Tétrault lawyers recognized with Lexology Client Choice Awards
McCarthy Tétrault advises on award-winning project finance deal