McCarthy Tétrault advises on 5 of the 10 largest Oil & Gas deals of 2017
August 17, 2017
Despite the unpredictability in the Canadian Oil & Gas industry, McCarthy Tétrault continues to demonstrate its strength having acted on five of the ten largest Oil & Gas deals of 2017 according to Mergermarket research.
- Enbridge Inc.’s C$37 billion acquisition of Spectra Energy Corp. to create the largest energy infrastructure company in North America
- Shell Canada’s C$11.1 billion disposition of its oil sands assets to a subsidiary of Canadian Natural Resources Limited (CNRL) and joint acquisition of Marathon Oil Canada Corporation with CNRL
- Shell Canada’s US$2.5 billion joint acquisition of Marathon Oil Canada Corporation with CNRL
- Parkland Fuel Corp.’s C$1.46 billion acquisition of Chevron Canada's Downstream Fuel Business
- GMP FirstEnergy, as Valuator, of the common shares of Ithaca Energy Inc. in relation to a C$841 million cash takeover of Ithaca by Delek Group Ltd.
Given our market leading position, we have played a principal role acting for every type of transaction participant, from emerging producers and operators to industry conglomerates. Whether an acquirer, a target, or a private equity investor, we will work closely with you, providing strategic guidance and unparalleled legal expertise to get deals done successfully.
Additional select experience from the last 12 months:
- Spartan Energy Corp.’s C$700 million acquisition of assets from ARC Resources Ltd. and concurrent equity financings totalling C$500 million
- Bankers Petroleum Ltd.’s C$575 million acquisition by affiliates of Geo-Jade Petroleum Corporation
- Tamarack Valley Energy Ltd.’s C$407.5 million acquisition of Spur Resources Ltd.
- Razor Energy Corp.’s in numerous strategic transactions totalling more than $136 million, including: its reverse takeover of Vector Resources Inc.; a strategic financing relationship with Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo), including a $30 million term loan facility and issuance of approximately 10.05% of its outstanding common shares to AIMCo; its acquisition of oil and gas interests in the Swan Hills area of Alberta; and subsequent acquisition of complementary light oil assets located in west central Alberta funded by a $17.25 million equity financing.
- Point Loma Resources Ltd. in numerous strategic transactions totalling more than $20 million, including its investment agreement with Evenergy Company Limited; disposition and joint venture agreement with Salt Bush Energy Ltd. the Canadian subsidiary of Transerv Energy Ltd.; acquisition of the assets of Craft Oil Ltd.; acquisition of a private oil and gas company; and acquisition of assets of Madalena Energy Inc. and reverse take-over of First Mountain Exploration Inc.